Connect with us

Crime

Kenyan man angrily chops off wife’s hands after quarrel

Published

on

Police in Kenya are currently pursuing a man who allegedly attacked his 22-year-old wife following a domestic dispute and chopped off her hands before escaping on a waiting motorcycle.

The Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) in a statement on Monday, November 1, said the appalling incident happened in Busia’s Butula sub-county on Sunday evening.

As detectives search for the cruel husband identified as Benard Ouma, the victim, Janet Auma is being treated at the Busia County Teaching and Referral Hospital.

Kenyan man chops off his wife

Advertisement

Auma’s mother Modesta Awino said the two had not known peace since her daughter moved in with Ouma two years ago. She was just 20 at the time. The couple share a one-year-old baby.

Ms Auma and Mr Ouma dated just for a few months before they started living together. Auma’s parents were against their relationship because they felt their daughter was too young for marriage.

“Their marriage flew into headwinds just months after they started living together. We have tried telling her to quit the relationship but our pleas have fallen on deaf ears,” Ms Owino told The Standard at the county hospital where her daughter is admitted in critical condition.

“Theirs has been a tough relationship. Not once, not twice, not thrice has her husband beaten her senselessly. In fact, we have lost count of the times they have fought and she has always ended up sustaining serious injuries. She would come home after being beaten but interestingly, she would always go back to her husband after recovering

ALSO READ  Gunmen storms church, abduct pastor, others invade

“In the latest incident, on Monday, Ouma and Auma fought 10 days ago. My daughter packed her bags and left. I told her there was no way I was going to allow her to return to her violent husband. I feared for her life,” said Owino.

Advertisement

It is alleged that Ouma followed his wife to her parents’ home and attacked her before fleeing using a motorcycle. He is also said to have slashed her on the thighs and head with a machete he was armed with.

On the fateful day, Ms Owino said, she had sent her daughter to collect firewood behind the house so they could make breakfast when Ouma, reportedly pounced on her.

“I heard Auma screaming. I rushed to where she was picking firewood and found her lying in a pool of blood, unconscious. Her hands had been chopped off and she was bleeding profusely. The left hand lay beside her and the other one had been chopped into pieces. I saw her husband escape on a motorcycle. I saw him. He was still holding the machete he used to attack my daughter. He wanted to kill her,” Owino claimed.

They took Auma to the county hospital that is 15 kilometres away from their home in Burinda village in Butula Constituency.

Auma’s grandmother Margaret Atieno said: “My grandchild had a promising future. She wanted to become a teacher. The attack has shattered her dreams.”

Advertisement

She said boda boda riders arrived, after hearing the screams, ready to lynch the attacker but he had already left.

ALSO READ  NDLEA impedes 101 parcels of cocaine in children duvets at Lagos transported by carpenter

“It would be a different story had the riders caught up with him. They would have killed him,” said Atieno.

“She may have gotten married at a young age but she was hardworking and we all knew she would continue to pursue her dreams, even from her husband’s house. But will that be possible now that she is without hands?

“This is sad and may Auma’s attacker never know peace. We are calling on the police to speed up investigations and make the author of this heinous act face the full force of the law.”

Joseph Oduor said he has always intervened whenever his cousin and the husband quarrelled.

Advertisement

“It never occurred to me that their differences would get this serious. We fear the suspect could launch another attack if he is not arrested swiftly,” Oduor said.

Bumala sub-county police commander Jacob Chelimo said they have already launched investigations into the incident.

Chelimo said they are following some crucial leads and he was positive they would soon catch up with the suspect.

The officer called on the public to volunteer information that will lead to the arrest of the suspected attacker.

“We are doing everything possible to have him arrested and be prosecuted,” said Mr Chelimo.

Advertisement

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

NURTW member, two others jailed for drug trafficking

Published

on

A 45-year-old driver and member of the National Union of Road Transport Workers, Tapha Mustapha, and two others, were on Thursday convicted and sentenced to two years’ imprisonment for trafficking hard drugs.

Other convicts sentenced alongside the NURTW member are Andrew Ukelere and Anthony Chiemerem.

The three convicts were earlier arraigned before the court by the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, on April 27, 2024, on charges bordering on conspiracy, trafficking in 13.9 kilograms of tramadol and 590 litres of Pentazocine, a psychotropic drug similar to cocaine.

During their arraignment, the prosecutor, Mariam I. Erondu, who was represented by Julian Negedu, told the court that the convicts were arrested with the drugs on March 19, 2024, on the Long Bridge area of the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Lagos State.

Advertisement

According to the prosecutor, the offences committed contravened Sections 11(b) of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency Act Cap N 30, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2004, and are punishable under the same Act.

The trio, however, pleaded guilty to the charges.

Following their guilty plea, Justice Kehinde Ogundare, adjourned the matter to Thursday for a review of facts and sentence, and then ordered that they be remanded at the Ikoyi Correctional Centre.

At the resumed hearing of the matter for review of facts, the prosecutor called Mr Benjamin Naetah, a Senior Exhibits Keeper with the agency, who tendered the drugs and other exhibits, which were admitted by the court.

Upon the conclusion of the review of facts, the prosecutor urged the court to convict and sentence the trio in accordance with the sections of the NDLEA Act that they were charged with.

Advertisement
ALSO READ  NDLEA impedes 101 parcels of cocaine in children duvets at Lagos transported by carpenter

But the convicts’ lawyers, Lilian Omotunde and Ore-Ofe Ogunleye, in their plea for mercy, urged the court to award a non-custodian sentence on their clients, being first-time convicts and for not wasting the time of the court.

Omotunde, who is the counsel for the first and second convicts, said: “The first convict is a first-time offender; he is a member of the National Union of Road Transport Workers. He was contracted by the roadside to deliver a good after Lagos State, but he was caught up by the law.

“The second convict is a 35-year-old medicine store attendant, who was sent on an errand by his master.

“I urge the court to award a non-custodian sentence,” she said.

Also, counsel for the third convict, Ogunleye, urged the court to award a non-custodian sentence to her client.

Advertisement

She particularly cited Section 426(2) paragraphs a, b, d and e of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA) 2015.

Responding to the counsel’s submissions, the prosecutor, Erondu, who also cited Section 311 of ACJA, urged the court to consider the commercial quantity of the prohibited drug seized from the convicts and the damage it would have done to the country.

In his judgment, Justice Ogundare sentenced the first and second convicts to two years imprisonment, while the third convict was sentenced to a year imprisonment.

The judge however ordered both the first and second convicts to pay the sum of N500,000 each, and the third convict to pay the sum of N100,000, in lieu of the jail term.

ALSO READ  Tincan Customs seize ammunition, hard drugs

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Crime

NAFDAC arrests five for allegedly selling fake cosmetics in Abuja

Published

on

The National Agency for Food and Drugs Administration and Control (NAFDAC) on Wednesday in Abuja arrested five persons for selling counterfeit cosmetics.

Theheute reports that the arrest was made at the Garki and Wuse axis, during an enforcement to curb the sales of substandard goods.

Speaking with newsmen after the enforcement, Mr Embugushiki-Musa Godiya, NAFDAC Head of Investigation and Enforcement, Federal Taskforce, said that the arrested persons would be investigated.

Godiya said that NAFDAC would work to ensure that fake cosmetics and other counterfeit products were completely wiped out of the country.

Advertisement

He said that the agency had been investigating some of these counterfeit cosmetics, following intelligence reports. He added that some of these products were illegally imported into the country, in spite of security at the border.

“NAFDAC is present in all the ports of entry of the country, but with the nature of our borders, these smugglers will always find a way to beat the system that the government has put in place.

“That is why if they escape from the port or borders, we go to the market and to all the places, gather intelligence reports, go after them and confiscate these products for possible prosecution,” Godiya said.

He said that the market value of the seized cosmetics was N35 million, adding that NAFDAC would continue investigation into the issue, to unravel the level of involvement of the suspects.

Godiya said that after investigation, the management of the agency may prosecute those suspects for the crime committed.

Advertisement
ALSO READ  Armed men attack Plateau village, kill over 142 persons

He called on Nigerians to collaborate with NAFDAC to fight counterfeit products in the country.

Continue Reading

Crime

NDLEA busts 80 suspects, seizes 3,000kg of drugs in FCT

Published

on

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has arrested over 80 suspected drug dealers with over 3,000kg of drugs in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) between January and March.

Mr Kabir Tsukuwa, Commander of Narcotics (CN), NDLEA, FCT Command, said this in an interview with the press

Tsakuwa said that over 50 suspects had been prosecuted adding that out of the number, 12 had been convicted and sentenced to different jail terms.

He said that the command had been going after the drug peddlers and the records were there to show from the arrest and seizure over the years.

Advertisement

”If not for the continuous effort of the agency and the command in particular, the drug situation in FCT and even the entire country would have been worst,” he said.

The NDLEA commander said that the current situation of drug abuse in the FCT was not a peculiar one as it was same world over.

Tsakuwa said that drug abuse was a major concern to all countries of the world.

He said that all regional and global bodies like ECOWAS, EU and UNODC were advocating for global concerted efforts to deal with the challenge of drug trafficking and abuse.

He said: “the drug situation varies from countries to countries, states to states and even localities.

Advertisement

According to him, the command has maintained consistent raids of drug joints within the FCT, even though, that cannot be said to have been dismantled completely but it is a continuous process.

ALSO READ  Court denies Anambra lawyer bail for brutalising maid

“There is no society that is crime free, not even the developed world.

“In 2023 alone, we arrested over 500 suspects with over 7,000kg of assorted drug seizure and conviction of over 200 offenders.

Tsakuwa said that the issue of drug abuse was serious, adding that Nigerians must join in the continuous fight against the drug menace.

He emphasised that there was a strong nexus between drug abuse and other criminalities like kidnapping, insurgency, theft, armed robbery among others.

Advertisement

“When drug abuse and trafficking is dealt with, the rise in other criminalities will certainly drop.

“Although, we have had cases where we carry out operations of drug joints, but the next minute, they are back again.

“Be that as it may, we shall continue to give in our best to ensure sustainable action in our efforts.

“We shall not rest until we achieve our desired goal of drug free environment in the Federal Capital, “he said.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2022 TheHeute.