Connect with us

Education

Abiodun provides N1 million, employment to OOU’s best graduating students

Published

on

Governor of Ogun state, Dapo Abiodun, has offered Awolumate Adebisi and Iloka Peter, the overall best graduating students of the Olabisi Onabanjo University (OOU) in Ago-Iwoye, automatic employment.

In a social media post on Monday, the governor also announced that he will be giving the duo a cash prize of one million naira each.

The governor, who attended the varsity’s 30th and 31st convocation ceremony earlier in the day, promised to build a 1600-bed hostel for the students of the institution.

According to him, the initiative is aimed at improving the institution’s infrastructure and providing better conditions for the students.

Advertisement

“I made an offer of employment to the overall best graduating students: Miss Awolumate Adebisi and Mr Iloka Peter, at the 30th and 31st Convocation Ceremony of the Olabisi Onabanjo University, OOU, Ago-Iwoye held this morning,” he wrote.

“The graduands were further encouraged with a cash prize of 1 million Naira each, as we will be constructing a 1600-bed hostel in a bid to provide more infrastructure for better conditions.”

This is not the first time the governor would be celebrating students from the state who excelled in their studies.

Last year, Abiodun gifted a house and the sum of N5 million to Joy Adesina, the best graduating medical student at the Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU).

Advertisement
ALSO READ  Catholic priests declare homosexuality practice, advocate against discrimination

Education

Lagos fixes date for Basic Education Certificate Examination resit

Published

on

Theheute-

The Lagos State Examinations Board has fixed October 6 as the new date for the 2022 Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) resit.

Director of the Board, Orunsolu Adebayo made the announcement in a statement on Wednesday.

The examination, initially scheduled for September 28, would still take place in various designated centres across the state.

Adebayo explained that the postponement became necessary to accommodate schools yet to register their candidates.

Advertisement

“The Board does not wish to deny the affected candidates the opportunity of taking the examination”, he noted.

The statement urged principals to take note of the new date and make best use of the extended date to ensure that affected candidates were duly informed.

ALSO READ  Fire razes Jetty in Port Harcourt, pregnant lady, others assumed dead Feared Dead As
Continue Reading

Education

JAMB introduces double fingerprints for 2023 UTME

Published

on

Theheute-

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) says it has adopted new guidelines to ensure the seamless conduct of next year’s Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME).

The board revealed the new guidelines in the latest edition of the weekly bulletin of the office of the registrar on Monday.

JAMB introduced double fingerprints, where a candidate is expected to register at least two fingers.

The exam body said any finger may be used for biometric verification before entering the examination hall on the appointed date.

Advertisement

The board also said candidates with bad fingerprints would be scheduled for the exam as “exemption candidates.”

It warned that some cybercafes and tutorial centres had been prohibited from participating in UTME.

The board also introduced the CBT centre accreditation to vet centres based on whether or not they meet the board’s new requirements which include the use of laptop computer systems with a specified RAM capacity.

Ishaq Oloyede, the JAMB registrar, also announced the introduction of biometric accreditation for CBT centre registration officers which he said will now be captured ahead of the exercise.

He said the board would consider separating UTME registration from that of Direct Entry (DE) starting from 2023.

Advertisement

According to Oloyede, the idea of the separation is to further consolidate its data collection efforts.

Earlier in the month, JAMB said it would no longer be conducting mop-up exercises for UTME candidates.

Mop-up exercise is usually held for candidates who could not participate in the UTME during the period of the exercise for some verified reasons.

ALSO READ  35 churchgoers confirmed dead in bus crash in Zimbabwe, 71 injured

JAMB said the move was to further strengthen the noose around examination malpractice.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Education

ASUU Strike: Court Strikes Out Suit Against Varsity Lecturers

Published

on

Theheute-ASUU-Court

The National Industrial Court Abuja has struck out a suit instituted by one Umar Lawal, the President of the National Association of Nigerian Students, asking the Academic Staff Union of Universities, to call off its seven-month-old strike and return to school.

Lawal had instituted the case on behalf of himself and the association.

Justice Polycarp Hamman struck out the suit on Tuesday after the counsel to Lawal, Debo Ikuesan, withdrew the suit on the grounds that the student body is challenging his position as president, denying that he is the leader of NANS as he had deposed to.

Counsel to ASUU, Marshal Abubakar also informed the court that he is not opposing the application to withdraw the suit.

Advertisement

In the suit, Faruk, who claimed to be the president of NANS sought the court’s order mandating ASUU to call off the industrial action it commenced in February 2022.

He said the strike action affects students’ right to education under section 18, Chapter 2 of the 1999 constitution as amended. He added that the prolonged strike has caused damage to Nigerian students as they have lost valuable time and opportunity in their educational and career pursuits.

They are seeking an order of the court to among others, order ASUU to call off its strike.

They are also seeking an order of court restraining ASUU and its members from further engaging or partaking in the industrial action they commenced.

The outgoing President of the student body, Sunday Asefon, had approached the court claiming that Umar Lawal does not have the mandate of NANS to commence the action.

Advertisement
ALSO READ  “You have this incredible way of making my heart happy” Emmanuella pens touching tribute to KWAM1 as she makes a strong vow

He said Umar Lawal had contested and lost the position of National President of NANS.

On account of the objection by the Student’s body, counsel to Umar Farouk, sought an order to discontinue the case, a stand which the counsel to ASUU, Mister Abubakar Marshall, did not oppose to.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2022 TheHeute.