Acting controller-general of the Federal Fire Service (FFS), Karebo Samson, says Nigerians should stop storing petrol at home to prevent fire outbreak.
Samson said this in a press statement on Wednesday.
It is gathered that on February 8 that the Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority (NMDPRA) confirmed that petrol, with methanol quantities above Nigeria’s specification, was discovered in the supply chain.
The development caused scarcity of petrol and resultant long queues in filling stations across Lagos and Abuja.
Karebo said storing petrol in homes amid the current scarcity could endanger lives.
“Nigerians must resist the temptation of storing PMS in their homes or other confined places due to the current challenge of scarcity, as doing that will endanger their lives and that of others,” he said.
“As we all know, children like to experiment, so storing PMS at home could be putting them at high risk especially if it is within their reach,” Samson said.
He said Nigerians risk having a fire outbreak or explosion if there is a source of ignition such as a naked flame or an electrical spark near the stored petrol.