Connect with us

Crime

NDLEA apprehends man with $4.7 million counterfeit cash

Published

on

Operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, NDLEA, have foiled attempt by a syndicate to steal at least N2.7 billion from the Nigerian economy by pushing into circulation fake $4.7 million cash.

The operatives had in the early hours of Friday 18th February 2022 intercepted a consignment sent from Lagos to Abuja at Abaji area of the Federal Capital Territory. A controlled delivery of the parcelled counterfeit US dollars totalling $4, 760, 000.00 led to the arrest of a principal suspect, 52-year-old Abdulmumini Maikasuwa.

The seizure followed intelligence received by the FCT Command of the Agency detailing the movement of the cash and the vehicle conveying it. Meanwhile, Chairman/Chief Executive of NDLEA, Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (Retd) has directed that both the cash and the suspect in custody be transferred to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, for further investigation.

In Kwara state, barely three weeks after a nursing mother, Mrs. Rashidat Adebayo, 38, was granted administrative bail following her arrest for dealing in illicit drugs, operatives have again arrested her in Offa with assorted drugs such as Tramadol, Swinol, Diazepam and Pentazocine injection ampules.

Advertisement

Before her latest arrest on Thursday 17th February, the nursing mother had been arrested and granted bail on 24th January 2022 for dealing in similar drugs.

In the same vein, NDLEA officers have arrested two drug dealers: Sani Isa (aka Bilaz) and Bala Yerima in Hong, Adamawa state with 239 blocks of cannabis sativa weighing 209kg, just as operatives of the Bauchi state Command have intercepted a truck marked FFF 422 XB coming from Lagos to Maiduguri, at Azare, Bauchi. A total of 164.8kg of cannabis sativa concealed in peak milk cartons was recovered from the truck.

ALSO READ  Gunmen attack NDLEA officers, kill one, set patrol truck ablaze in Ebonyi

The NDLEA Chief Executive has commended the officers and men of the FCT Command for their vigilance and preventing counterfeit $4.7 million from going into the streets. He charged them and their counterparts in Adamawa, Kwara, Bauchi and others across the country not to rest on their oars.

Advertisement

Crime

Union Bank keeps mum as EFCC arraigns employee over fraud (Photos)

Published

on

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Monday arraigned a former employee of Union Bank, Abdulmalik Salau, and two others for cybercrime and money laundering involving about N1.403 billion.

The other accused persons are Ismaila Atumeyi and Ngene Dominic. EFCC announced the arrest of the defendants in November.

The anti-graft agency’s spokesperson, Wilson Uwujaren, said in a statement that the trio were arraigned before the trial judge, Tjinani Ringim, of the Federal High Court in Ikoyi, Lagos.

They face 18 charges to which they all pleaded “not guilty” on Monday.

Advertisement

Following their “not guilty” plea, the prosecuting counsel, Rotimi Oyedepo, called for the commencement of their trial, a request he anchored on the provision of section 273 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA).

“Therefore, we will, with all humility, ask your Lordship for the acceleration of this trial.

My Lord, Section 300 of the ACJA also expects the prosecution to give a very brief summary of the case it has against the defendants,” the lawyer said.

How defendants allegedly diverted bank’s N1.4billion’

Mr Oyedepo also informed the judge that the prosecution had lined up six witnesses to testify against the defendants.

Advertisement

He said the prosecution would, through the witnesses, show to the court “how the defendants agreed among themselves to hack into the database of Union Bank Plc, transferred funds belonging to the bank and its customers and used the proceeds of this unlawful activity to acquire properties for themselves.”

He added that the prosecution would show how the third defendant, a former member of staff of Union Bank Plc, allegedly worked with the others and “succeeded in hacking into the database of the bank”

ALSO READ  Pastor flees following attempted murder on house help

He alleged that the defendants, in different instalments, moved over N1.4 billion into the accounts of FAV Oil and Gas Limited and Atus Homes Limited.

The prosecuting lawyer added: “The exhibits that the prosecution will tender include the documentary exhibit that shows that the sum of $480,000 was found in the possession of the third defendant and that the sum of N326, 400 million cash was found in a black Escalade car in the possession of first and second defendants.

“My lord, the case is such that, in its nature, requires the cooperation of both the prosecution and the defence team to see its expeditious determination.

Advertisement

“I, therefore, urge your lordship, pending the determination of the case, to remand the defendants in a correctional facility, where adequately trained personnel will see to their welfare and wellbeing.”

EFCC alleged that part of the offences allegedly committed by the defendant was contrary to and punishable under section 16(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Act, 2015.

Another of the offences was also said to violate section 18( a), 15 (2) of the Money Laundering Prohibition Act, 2011, as amended and punishable under section 15(3) of the same Act.

Defence lawyers deny allegations, apply for bail

Responding to the prosecuting counsel, Bolaji Ayorinde, the lawyer representing the first and second defendants, Messrs Atumeyi and Dominic, said: “No iota of evidence has been admitted against the first and second defendants.

Advertisement

The defendants having pleaded “not guilty” to the charges, Mr Ayorinde said “they are constitutionally and legally under the presumption of innocence until otherwise determined by the court.”

ALSO READ  Man bags 3 year jail term for putting detergent into patient’s drip

The defence lawyer added:* “In order to further the presumption of innocence of the first and second defendants, we filed on November 30, 2022, an application for bail seeking your lordship’s admission to bail of the first and second defendants pending the hearing and determination of the charge against them.

“The prosecution has responded to the application by serving on the first and second defendants a counter filed on 5 December 2022.”
He said in ensuring an expeditious and speedy dispensation of the case, he was prepared to move the application for bail immediately.

The application for bail for the first and second defendants is ready for hearing. The summons for bail is dated November 30, 2022. Since it seeks admission of the defendants to bail in very liberal terms, the grounds of the application are well stated in the summons,” he said.

Mr Ayorinde, who described the offence as bailable, stated that the defendants, “who were arrested and detained as far back as November 1, 2022,” would not jump bail.

Advertisement

He maintained that the “incarceration of the first and second defendants ought not to continue, even if on some terms. Their rights to bail have not been taken away; the charges preferred against them are bailable.”

The third defendant’s lawyer, Babatunde Ogunwo, also denied the allegations levelled against his client and “adopted “wholeheartedly” the argument of Mr Ayorinde.

EFCC’s lawyer, Mr Oyedepo, opposed the defendants’ bail applications.

“In the very unlikely event that the court disagrees with our submissions, we pray your lordship to impose such conditions that will secure the attendance of the defendants, particularly the first and second defendants whose applications are being argued.”

ALSO READ  N22b tramadol: Ukatu sues NDLEA, demands N200m, apology

The judge adjourned until Tuesday for ruling on the bail application of the first and second defendants.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Crime

Native doctor shoots his client dead while testing bulletproof charm in Enugu

Published

on

Operatives of the Enugu State Police Command have arrested a 23-year-old native doctor, Odoh Emmanuel, for accidentally killing his client while testing a bulletproof charm he prepared for him.

Odoh shot the deceased, identified as Onunze Benedict, with a locally-fabricated single-barreled gun in his shrine while testing the potency of the charm he made for him.

According to the Command’s Spokesperson, DSP Daniel Ndukwe, who disclosed the incident in a statement released on Tuesday, November 29, the killing occurred in Isi-Uzo Local Government Area of the state.

The statement reads,

Advertisement

“On 16/11/2022 at about 11.pm, police operatives serving in Isi-Uzo Police Division of the Command, arrested Odoh Emmanuel (male and a native doctor) aged 23, of Umuaram Village in Ikem community of Isi-Uzo LGA, for shooting and murdering his adult male client, one Onunze Benedict, of Eha-Amufu community in the same LGA.

“Preliminary investigation reveals that the suspect confessed to having used a locally-fabricated single-barreled gun to shoot and murder the said victim in his shrine at the mentioned location, while testing the gunshot protection charm he had prepared for him

“The gun has been recovered, while further investigation is ongoing at the Homicide Section of the State CID Enugu.”

The suspect will be charged to court once the police conclude their investigation.

Advertisement
ALSO READ  Lagos bans motorcycle operations in 6 LGAs in response to sound engineer’s murder
Continue Reading

Crime

Ogun: Yahoo-boy kills girlfriend for refusing to remit fraud proceeds

Published

on

A 27-year-old suspected internet fraudster, otherwise known as Yahoo boy, Obeta John, has allegedly killed his girlfriend, Idowu Buhari over claims that she refused to remit to him, a proceed of fraud paid into the girl’s account by a victim.

The victim, an HND 1 student of Mass Communication, Gateway Polytechnic Saapade, Ogun State, was reportedly beaten to death by the suspect.

Abimbola Oyeyemi, the Ogun State police spokesperson, Abimbola Oyeyemi, said the suspect, was arrested Tuesday following a distress call received at the Ode-Remo divisional headquarters.

The police were informed that the suspect, a resident at 3, Mojubade Compound, Eredu Ishara, locked his door and started beating the girl, hitting her head against the wall.

Advertisement

Efforts by neighbours to persuade him to open the door did not succeed, DAILY POST learnt.

Acting on the distress call, Oyeyemi said the DPO of Ode-Remo division, CSP Fasogbon Olayemi, had quickly led his officers to the scene, “where they met the victim in the pool of her blood after forcing the door open.”

The police rushed the victim to the State Hospital, Ishara, where she was pronounced dead by the doctor on duty.

The suspect said to be an indigene of Enugu State, is presently in police custody.

“On interrogation, the suspect informed the police that he is an internet fraudster and that a certain amount of money from one of his clients was paid into the account of his deceased girlfriend which she refused to relinquish to him,” Oyeyemi explained.

Advertisement

He quoted the suspect as saying that the fight over the said money had eventually led to the death of the girl.

ALSO READ  Investors worried billions gone as Pipminds cuts communication ties

Meanwhile, the State Commissioner of Police in Ogun, Lanre Bankole, has ordered the transfer of the suspect to the State CIID for further investigation and prosecution by the homicide team.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2022 TheHeute.