Connect with us

News

Explosion in Niger State kill four NSCDC officers, six others

Published

on

Four officers of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) have been killed by suspected Boko Haram terrorists at Galadiman Kogo in Shiroro Local Government Area of Niger State.

The terrorists also killed six residents of the town during an earlier night raid on Sunday.

The spokesperson of NSCDC, Olusola Odumosu, confirmed the death of the officials on Monday from the agency’s headquarters in Abuja.

“A bomb explosion has rocked an operational vehicle of the Niger State Command of Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, killing four personnel instantly,” Mr Odumosu said.

Advertisement

“The driver of the vehicle sustained very serious injuries during the blast and had been rushed to the hospital where he is currently battling for his life.

“The explosion occured along Galadiman Kogo axis in Shiroro Local Government Area of Niger State at the early hours of Monday morning, involving some officers and men of NSCDC Niger Command attached to Shiroro HYDRO Power Station, Shiroro, Niger State.

Mr Odumosu said the officials were “on a routine patrol in the early hours of Monday morning when their patrol vehicle stepped on a buried land mine which exploded immediately killing all occupants except the driver who is currently in a very critical condition.”

He identified the deceased personnel as: ASC I Mohammed Ibrahim; ASC II Cheche Ahmed; IC Yunusa Mahmam; and CAI BALA Abdullahi.

The driver identified as “Inspector Bala Adamu is currently in the hospital receiving treatment,” the official said.

Advertisement

“The Commandant General of NSCDC, Ahmed Audi, has commiserated with families of the deceased officers and men who paid the supreme price in service to the nation and reassured residents of Niger of the Corp’s resolve and commitment to the security of lives and property of Nigerians without deterrence, the statement said.

ALSO READ  Expect another #EndSARS uprising if ASUU strike lingers, NLC, Falana tell FG

Also the Niger State Government, while commiserating with the entire people of Shiroro local government area, particularly the affected communities, said Governor Abubakar Bello would take every necessary step to assuage the sufferings of the affected people by providing humanitarian interventions.

Mary Noel-Berje, the media aide to the governor, said the Mr Bello is “saddened by the ugly news emanating from Galadima Kogo, barely three weeks after similar attacks, in which many lives and properties were lost as well as many residents displaced.”

“As Government, we are determined not to hands up to these dare-devil terrorists. Niger State is actively supporting the federal government led efforts to overcome the menace of these heartless terrorists,” Mrs Noel-Berje said in a statement.

“These people have come under several attacks for no fault of theirs, their lifestyle have been forced to change. I feel and share in their pains. I will not rest until their lifestyle return to normal”, she said, quoting the governor.

Advertisement

The statement added that the governor also “condoled with the security agencies for the loss of some of their personnel, sympathized with their family members, stressing that their sacrifices will not go in vain even as he pledged his unalloyed as well as continued support to them within the available resources so as to win the war against the terrorists.

“The governor prayed God to grant quick recovery to those injured and repose of the souls of those killed,” the statement said.
Six civilian casualties – Residents

The Co-convener of Concerned Shiroro Youth, Abubakar Yusuf-Kokki, told PREMIUM TIMES that six other residents were killed by the marauding terrorists earlier on Sunday in Galadima Kogo.

ALSO READ  Russian Blackcat hacks Bet9ja, demands millions

Mr Yusuf-Kokki said the use of IEDs by terrorists in the area is strange and has created panic among the residents.

“Concerns are rife among residents of the war-torn areas about the ugly development bearing in mind the more devastating dimension this menace have taken.

Advertisement

“Explosions of this magnitude are new and unusual which is attributable to the kid gloves this war is being prosecuted with by Government,” Mr Yusuf-Kokki said
Earlier warning

The Niger State Government had in November warned that a breakaway group of the Islamic State of West Africa Province (ISWAP) and Boko Haram terrorists was establishing camps in the state.

Photo of the deceased personnel

The Secretary to the State Government, Ahmed Matane, raised the alarn at a press conference.

Mr Matane said armed bandits were aligning with insurgents to indoctrinate residents in some communities in Shiroro Local Government Area.
Advertisements

Advertisement

“The group has been preaching a strict Islamic ideology and banning women from going to conventional schools,” he said.

The official identified some of the communities visited by the armed groups as Shukuba, Koki, Kusare, and Madaka.

Mr Matane said the group was assuring residents of protection but asked them to reject western education as well as government directives.

“These people often go to communities to communicate with them and assure them that they will not harm them, and join them during Friday congregational prayer to preach to them on the need to forsake western education and embark on civil disobedience,”

“They also made a video claiming that they are not kidnappers, but engaging in religious activities. They have assured us (Government) that they are ‘God sent’ to establish an Islamic caliphate. Despite their rapprochement, we are not negotiating with them,” Mr Matane said.

Advertisement
ALSO READ  We have deployed DSS, police, NSCDC to rail stations, security has improved, NRC claims

Specifically, Mr Matane said “ISWAP is trying to establish a camp at National Park at Babana in Borgu Local government Area of the State.”

The official said the collaboration between the armed bandits and Boko Haram has escalated attacks on innocent residents in recent times.

Mr Matane, who said the state had spent over N5 billion in tackling security challenges, said the government was worried the situation has continued to escalate.

After the alarm raised by the Niger government, the federal government announced that it was deploying massive security personnel to the state to check the activities of the terrorists.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Religion

VSE Joseph Olorunishola – Forgiven But Not Restored

Published

on

The official report of the meeting of VSE Joseph Olorunnishola and Rev. Pastor EMF Oshoffa on Thursday, September 29th, 2022.

Following a letter of apology from VSE Joseph Olorunnishola to Pastor EMF Oshoffa, a meeting was arranged for VSE Olorunnishola to apologize in person to the Spiritual Head and Pastor of Celestial Church of Christ Worldwide.

The meeting took place at the New York Parish, Brooklyn before the CCC 75th Anniversary Service of the Founding of Celestial Church of Christ on September 29th.

VSE Joseph Olorunnishola was at the meeting with five of his elders and the USA diocese was also represented by total of six elders.

Advertisement

Chiefly at the meeting, presided by the Pastor EMF Oshoffa, and sitting on the high table with Pastor were the Pastor’s head of Administration Worldwide, VSE S.F. Adeniyi and the Head of USA Diocese, VSE Olaitan Balogun.

Also at the meeting were the HOD deputies
VSE Solomon Yusuf and Sup. Evg. Ayo Homer-Williams. AVSE Kehinde Akano, Sup. Evg Oluwafemi Sanyaolu, and Sup. Evg. Felix Oziegbe.

Venerable Superior Evangelist Olaitan Balogun, Head of U.S.A Diocese, C.C.C. Worldwide.

Present at the meeting with VSE Joseph Olorunnishola was; Sup. Evg. Yomi Dodo Williams, Sup Evg. Victor Adewusi, MSE Sam Adebayo, Sup. Evg .Timothy Olatokun and Sup Evg Badmus.

The meeting lasted over 4 hours.

Summary:

  1. The meeting started with an opening prayer by the Pastor EMF Oshoffa
  2. The Pastor reiterated the need for peace and oneness in the diocese
  3. VSE Joseph Olorunnishola prostrated to apologize to the Pastor and everybody in the meeting also prostrated alongside VSE Olorunnishola for total forgiveness and spirit of oneness.
  4. The Pastor asked VSE Joseph Olorunnishola to explain himself.
  5. VSE Joseph Olorunnishola stated that he did not do anything wrong as he was simply carrying out the decision made by his then Executive Council members in the infamous March 5, 2021 memorandum of 7-point demand and Declaration of Independence notably from the Pastor.
  6. Superior Evangelist Homer Williams, Superior Evangelist Akande and Superior Evangelist Oziegbe all indicated their efforts at urging VSE Joseph Olorunnishola to rescind the letter as requested by the Pastor. But VSE Olorunnishola blatantly refused and responded to each of the above peace makers with a common “over my dead body”.
  7. VSE Joseph Olorunnishola requested to still be in control of the parishes under his leadership.
  8. The Pastor then requested VSE Olorunnishola to come to Nigeria for further discussions while the Pastor will consult with the elders of the church in Nigeria.
  9. VSE Joseph Olorunnishola replied that he does not have the grace to travel to Nigeria.
  10. The Pastor then asked VSE Olorunnishola to call him when the Pastor returns back to Nigeria.
  11. Superior Evangelist Sanyaolu reiterated at the meeting that for there to be true peace and truce, VSE Joseph Olorunnishola has to withdraw all his court cases with the USA diocese because VSE Olorunnishola is not the owner of Celestial Church of Christ in America. And that the Pastor is both the Spiritual and Administrative Head of Celestial Church of Christ Worldwide as per the Constitution.
  12. The meeting ended with closing prayer by the HOD VSE Olaitan Balogun
  13. The grace said by Pastor EMF Oshoffa
  14. It was gathered that after the grace, VSE Joseph Olorunnishola while walking away then said the status quo remains of which the Pastor did not respond.
  15. VSE Joseph Olorunnishola was asked by some representatives of the diocese to take back his false conclusion of the meeting that “the status quo remains” and a small skirmish ensued.
  16. VSE Joseph Olorunnishola, in his own mind, falsely concluded that the status quo remains, which perhaps could be his primary objective for coming to the meeting and thereby creating some form of legitimacy.
  17. VSE Joseph Olorunnishola was forgiven by the pastor but not restored.
ALSO READ  At least five injured as explosion rocks Taraba again

It is our prayer that the spirit of arrogance and disobedience will be cast away in our midst. And the owner of His church will continue to uphold and strengthen His church, in Jesus mighty name. Amen!

The Publicity and Media Team of the USA Diocese stands by the veracity of this report (Zechariah 8:16-17).

Advertisement

Together, we move to higher glory.

The Publicity and Media Team
CCC USA Diocese

Venerable Superior Evangelist Joseph Olorunishola.

Continue Reading

News

Terra Kulture Receives Netflix Support For Its Creative Industry Programmes

Published

on

Leading educational and recreational organisation, Terra Kulture, has received a financial donation from the global streaming platform, Netflix.

A statement on Friday by the Lagos-based firm said the donation follows the recent announcement by Netflix to extend the Creative Equity Scholarship Fund for film and television students to select West and Central African countries to study at partner universities in Nigeria, Ghana, Benin and Gabon.

The donation received will further the organisation’s effort to promote the richness and diversity of the Nigerian arts and culture sector.
“The support fund will be directed to industry and community-focused areas of engagement which include academic training, theatre, gallery, and bookstore. It is also intended to ensure cultural programming in Nigeria while promoting the various artistic and cultural projects led by Terra Kulture,” the said.

Commenting further on the philanthropic gesture, Bolanle Austen-Peters, the Chief Executive Officer of Terra Kulture, said: “We’re delighted to receive this donation from Netflix. It would be helpful to take our ongoing projects to the next step.”

Advertisement

According to her, since 2003, Terra Kulture has been at the forefront of promoting Nigeria’s art and culture through exhibitions; indigenous restaurant; and storytelling through its award-winning plays and movies. “Over these years, we have developed an in-depth understanding of arts, culture, and languages to impact the next generation most effectively. With the financial support received, Terra Kulture Academy for the Arts aims to fulfil its mission to support, upskill and inspire Nigeria’s creative youths through educational and recreational programs that will yield multiplicative benefits to themselves, their families, communities, and the overall Nigerian creative economy.”

ALSO READ  FG raises CBN’s solar intervention disbursement to N140 billion

Terra Kulture has trained more than 2,000 youth in theatre lighting design, sound design, costume design, batik, tie and dye, makeup, hairstyling, production, acting, directing, production management, props management, and set design, animation, choreography, and motion graphics for stage plays.

In a bid to formalize the skilling efforts, the organization launched Terra Academy for the Arts (TAFTA), which is a free-to-attend training created to formally empower young creatives with relevant skills across key sub-sectors in theatre. The programme is designed to provide training on key technical production skills for the creative industry as well as an entrepreneurial module for students to learn about the industry’s business side.

Quoting a new report on Nigeria’s creative industry, the statement said the creative industry is now positioned as Nigeria’s second-largest employer of labour and has the potential to produce 2.7 million additional jobs by 2025. Also, it is projected to contribute 5 trillion Naira to the country’s GDP, thereby making the sector a significant contributor to the economy of Nigeria, which is Africa’s largest economy.

According to the statement, the intervention is aligned with Netflix’s commitment to supporting artistic and cultural projects, and a part of their creative industry support fund in Nigeria.

Advertisement

Recently, the global streaming giant extended its Creative Equity Scholarship Fund to include academic institutions in Central and West Africa. The CESF will be distributed to various initiatives over the next five years to build a strong, diverse pipeline of creatives around the world.

Continue Reading

News

‘Massive!’ Gateway Movement to empower Ogun residents with tractor, SUV, others Oct 2

Published

on

whatsapp image 2022 10 01 at 7.25.08 pm

The Gateway Movement, in conjunction with Gateway Front Foundation (GFF), will on Sunday, 2nd October, 2022 will be holding a mega empowerment programme.

According to the release made available to Freelanews by organisation’s Deputy Director-General, Hon. John Obafemi, the event will commence by 11:00am at Ita Oba, Akarigbo Palace, Sagamu, Ogun State.

One of those expected at the rally include the former Ogun State Governor, Otunba Gbenga Daniel, who is also the All Progressives Congress (APC) Ogun East Senatorial Candidate for the 2023 general elections.

A major highlight of the event is the raffle where mouth-watering prizes like a N10 million wort of agricultural tractor, Toyota Highlander SUV and 2.5KVA generator.

Advertisement

Over 500 other items are up for grabs, including sewing machines, grinding machines etc.

The Gateway Movement is a charity organisation with the mission to advance humanitarian causes and make life more pleasant for residents of Ogun State.

On its part, the GFF was founded as a non-governmental organisation 20 years ago and has since been supporting community development, empowerment programmes, microcredits and scholarships throughout the length and breadth of the Gateway State.

The general public, especially well-meaning people across the Ogun East Senatorial District, are hereby invited to this special empowerment programme.

Tickets for participation in the empowerment programs will be available at the entrance of the Akarigbo Palace from 9am on Sunday.

Advertisement

ALSO READ  FG raises CBN’s solar intervention disbursement to N140 billion
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2022 TheHeute.