Connect with us

News

Libya oil firm shuts down major oil field

Published

on

Libya’s National Oil Corporation announced Sunday the closure of production at a major oil field in the country’s south, declaring a “force majeure”.

“On Saturday… the Al-Fil field was subjected to arbitrary closure attempts, due to the entry of a group of individuals and the prevention of the field’s workers from continuing production,” the NOC said on Facebook.

It added that the field was shut down on Sunday — marking the second closure in a matter of weeks — “making it impossible for the NOC to implement its contractual obligations”.

The firm said it “is obliged to declare a state of force majeure” and would no longer be able to provide crude to the Mellitah complex on the country’s northwestern coast.

Advertisement

Declaring force majeure is a legal move allowing parties to free themselves from contractual obligations when factors such as fighting or natural disasters make meeting them impossible.

According to Libya’s state news agency, the closure comes after a group of individuals declared that they were halting production “until a government appointed by parliament takes office in the capital”.

Libya has recently once again found itself with two rival governments after the eastern-based parliament in February appointed a new prime minister in a direct challenge to the UN-brokered government in Tripoli.

The move underlines the extent of divisions in the war-wracked country as observers fear a renewed descent into violence.

Al-Fil, some 750 kilometres southwest of Tripoli, is jointly managed by the NOC and Italian energy giant ENI and produces around 70,000 barrels of oil per day.

Advertisement
ALSO READ  Hajj: 475 pilgrims depart Yola for Saudi Arabia

The field had already been forced to close temporarily in early March when an armed group shut down valves delivering crude.

Oil revenues are vital to the economy of Libya, a country sitting on Africa’s largest known reserves.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

FAAN reopens Lagos airport runway after Dana Air incident

Published

on

The Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria has announced the reopening of Runway 18L/36R at Murtala Muhammed Airport in Lagos, following a temporary closure caused by a Dana Air plane skidding off the runway on Tuesday

This was disclosed in a press release signed by the Director of Public Affairs and Consumer Protection, FAAN, Obiageli Orah, on Wednesday.

The statement read, “The Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria is pleased to notify the public and all stakeholders that Runway 18L/36R was reopened for flight operations at 19:58hrs.

“This development follows the earlier closure of the runway this morning due to an incident involving a Dana Air aircraft, with registration number 5N-BKI, which overshot the runway during its landing sequence.

Advertisement

“Prompt actions were taken by our emergency response team to evacuate and recover the aircraft from the site. Subsequently, comprehensive clearing operations were conducted to ensure the runway was free of any Foreign Object Debris that could impede flight safety, Orah added.

According to the statement, the FAAN Operations Division and the Nigerian Airspace Management Agency have jointly inspected the runway surface and deemed it safe for the resumption of operations.

FAAN acknowledged that the area affected by the overshoot was significantly muddy, necessitating extensive cleaning efforts to restore safety.

“A concerted effort was made for the thorough and efficient cleaning of the area to facilitate the swift resumption of operations on Runway 18L/36R,” she said.

Orah apologised for any inconvenience caused, stating, “Ensuring the safety and security of our passengers, staff, and airport operations remains our top priority.

Advertisement
ALSO READ  Hajj: 475 pilgrims depart Yola for Saudi Arabia

“FAAN is committed to providing a safe, secure, and efficient air transport environment for all users of our airports.

“FAAN wishes to express its gratitude to the travelling public, our airline partners, and all stakeholders for their patience, understanding, and cooperation during the temporary closure. We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this incident may have caused,” the statement read.

Continue Reading

Crime

Man, 30, defiles landlady’s 13-year-old daughter in Rivers

Published

on

The operatives of the Rivers State Police Command have arrested a 30-year-old man identified as Jeffrey for allegedly defiling the teenage daughter of his landlady in an estate in Abuloma, Port Harcourt Local government Area of the State.

It was learnt that the suspect, who has a tailoring shop at the estate, lured the 13-year-old girl to his business place one evening under the guise of showing her clothes.

But Jeffrey ended up locking the shop, overpowered the girl, and allegedly had his way with the girl.

The suspect was, however, arrested by men of the Trans-Amadi Police Division last Friday when the teenage girl opened up to her mother about what transpired.

Advertisement

A source who does not want his name in print said, “Already a medical examination conducted on the minor indicated she was defiled.”

When contacted, the spokesperson for the state police command, Grace Iringe-Koko, confirmed the incident, saying the investigation was ongoing.

“She stated, “Yes, I can confirm the arrest of the suspect. The matter has been transferred to the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department, Port Harcourt, for discreet investigation.”

Iringe-Koko further said the command will ensure that the suspect is prosecuted to deter others.

Advertisement
ALSO READ  Instagram launches ‘Amber Alert’ to help find missing children
Continue Reading

Crime

Lagos police arrest suspected cable vandal

Published

on

Operatives of the Lagos State Police Command, have arrested a suspected electricity cable vandal.

The suspect, simply identified as Abu Ali, aged 35, was said to have been arrested by policemen from the Pen Cinema Division at about 1 am when motorists alerted the state police command of the suspect’s activity.

The Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, SP Benjamin Hundeyin, confirmed the arrest in a statement on his X handle, @BenHundeyin, on Tuesday morning.

He noted that the suspect had been arrested and will be prosecuted.

Advertisement

The statement read, “At about 1 am, officers from Pen Cinema Division responded to calls from motorists that somebody was sighted cutting cables.

“Abu Ali, aged 35 was arrested at Ode Aran bus stop, Ogba, with vandalized cables.

“Prosecution follows.”

Recall that in February 2024, the Lagos State Police Command arrested one Chris Abu and Paul Philip for allegedly vandalising electricity cables belonging to the Ikeja Electricity Distribution Company Plc.

Theheute gathered that the incident occurred on February 18, 2024, at about 2:30 pm.

Advertisement

A police source told our correspondent that a distress call was received from the Lagos State Electricity Board in Ikeja about the activities of vandals who specialise in vandalising electricity and armoured cables.

The source added that police officers went to the scene immediately and two males were arrested.

ALSO READ  Africa must cut reliance on food imports, says Nigerian billionaire
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2022 TheHeute.