Connect with us

Crime

BRT driver flees as crushed mother dies, daughter hospitalised

Published

on

A yet-to-be-identified Bus Rapid Transit driver has crushed a woman, Reini Akakpo, to death at Union Road, Dopemu, in the Agege area of Lagos State.

The victim’s one-year-old daughter, Amelia, who alongside her 26-year-old mother was knocked down by the BRT bus, was admitted to the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, Ikeja.

It was gathered that Reini and her daughter attempted to cross the BRT lane to link to their destination on Union Road when the bus driver, who was said to be at top speed, rammed into them.

An eyewitness, who gave his name simply as Uche, said after the accident, some good Samaritans rescued the victims, adding that Reini lost her life due to the injuries she sustained.

Advertisement

He said, “The woman and her daughter were beside me when I wanted to cross to connect to Union Road to go to my shop around 8.13am. But the woman rushed and the BRT driver, who was driving at top speed, knocked down the woman and her daughter.

“After the accident, people started pouring water on the woman’s face; her daughter was unconscious. The woman’s pain was too much, but people rushed her to a hospital. It was later that I got to know that she died.”

A resident, identified simply as Remilekun, said after the accident, the driver abandoned the bus on the dedicated lane and fled.

“But the police came to tow it away. The husband of the woman was called, as people rushed her and her daughter to LASUTH. The woman died; her daughter has been hospitalised since then,” he added.

ALSO READ  Ekiti Governor Sympathises With Victims of Collapsed Event Centre

Reini’s husband, Monday, while lamenting the incident, alleged that his wife was abandoned at LASUTH for one hour till she died in a vehicle on the premises of the hospital.

Advertisement

He said, “I left for Maryland to work early in the morning last Friday and was working when I suddenly received a call from a neighbour that my wife had an accident and was rushed to the emergency ward at LASUTH. I quickly left Maryland and rushed down to the hospital, but met the corpse of my wife in a vehicle.

“My neighbour, who hired a cab to convey my wife and daughter to the hospital, said despite getting there for an hour, no doctor or nurse attended to her. My daughter is still hospitalised, but I have conveyed my wife’s corpse to Togo for burial.”

The Chief Medical Director of LASUTH, Prof. Adetokunbo Fabamwo, said a system had been put in place for medical practitioners to render first aid to patients even if there was no bed space.

The Chairman, Medical Advisory Committee, LASUTH, Prof. Adebowale Adekoya, said Reini died on arrival.

He said, “As to the claim that the patient spent an hour in LASUTH and nobody attended to her, that is not correct. It is an unfortunate allegation and it is very easy to see it as such because as we speak, the child of the deceased is still in LASUTH and there is no way the child would have been alive without care after the accident. The child is now going to be moved from the emergency unit to the ward and you can physically confirm that by visiting the hospital.”

Advertisement
ALSO READ  Dad arrested after horror shooting that killed his three kids

The state Police Public Relations Officer, SP Benjamin Hundeyin, said nobody reported the incident to the police.

“But immediately the police got wind of it, policemen from the Shasha division proceeded to the scene. The driver was apprehended and detained, while the vehicle was towed away.

“After 24 hours of waiting to see if someone will come to the station to give useful information on the identity and whereabouts of the woman, the driver was released to a reliable surety as the case has not been concluded.

“But with the new development about the woman’s death, the surety will be contacted to provide the driver so the investigation could be updated accordingly.”

The Managing Director, Lagos Bus Services, Idowu Oguntona, did not respond to calls and a text message sent to his mobile phone as of press time.

Advertisement

Crime

Nigerian Navy investigates civilian worker’s death

Published

on

The Nigerian Navy (NN) says it has begun investigation on how one of its civilian staff members, Mr Ifeanyi Onumaegbu, died.

The Chief of Naval Staff, Vice-Adm. Emmanuel Ogalla, announced this in Lagos on Thursday.

He explained that Onumaegbu died at the Nigerian Navy Reference Hospital (NNRH) Ojo, Lagos, where he worked.

He explained further that the deceased was a civilian staff of the Ministry of Defence attached to the Laboratory Department of the NNRH since 2009.

Advertisement

”The navy is deeply saddened by the demise of Mr Ifeanyi Onumaegbu and the circumstances surrounding his death.

”On March 31, he was found lifeless in his office at NNRH.

“A preliminary investigation revealed that on March 26, the deceased was involved in an altercation with a civilian lady and some NN personnel in Navy Town Barracks,” he said.

Ogalla said that all suspected personnel and the civilian lady involved in the previous altercation had been identified and “are currently under close custody”.

He also said that NN had facilitated the movement of the deceased’s body to a reputable government hospital in Lagos based on the request of the family for an autopsy.

Advertisement

“The NN further wishes to assure his family and the public that all necessary measures are being taken to unravel the cause of his death.

“Any person found culpable would be prosecuted according to extant laws,” he said.

Theheute recalls that the Joint Executive Council of Ministry of Defence embarked on a peaceful mourning protest on April 8 against the death of Onumaegbu

ALSO READ  Terrorist leader Junaidu Fasagora, scores of his fighters killed in Zamfara

The protest was held across all the civilian personnel units of the Ministry of Defence.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Crime

39 lecturers indicted for sexual harassment in five years – Report

Published

on

No fewer than 39 lecturers in the nation’s tertiary institutions have been indicted and dismissed over sexual misconduct in the past five years, analysis of media reports by Theheute has revealed.

Sexual harassment has been recurring in Nigerian higher educational institutions with a survey conducted in 2018 by the World Bank Group’s Women revealing that 70 per cent of female graduates from tertiary institutions in the country were sexually harassed in school, with the main perpetrators being classmates and lecturers.

Although the Senate had in 2021 passed a bill stipulating 21 years imprisonment for randy lecturers, Theheute reports that most of the lecturers indicted and found guilty after the bill was passed were simply sacked.

In April 2018, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, announced the indefinite suspension of a professor of Accounting, Richard Oladele, over sexual harassment.

Advertisement

In 2021, the university also dismissed three lecturers from the Departments of English Language, International Relations and Accounting over sexual harassment.

In February 2020, the institution also announced the suspension of a lecturer at the Centre for Distance Learning, Monday Omo-Etan, for sexually molesting a 19-year-old female student.

In 2019, Ambrose Ali University, Ekpoma, announced the suspension of an associate professor, Monday Igbafen, over allegations bordering on sexual harassment of female students.

Igbafen, who was the chairman of the AAU branch of the Academic Staff Union of Universities at the time, had accused the vice-chancellor of the institution of trying to frame him.

The senior lecturer in the Department of Philosophy at the university, in a letter written to the school by his lawyers, Osahon Irebhude & Co, demanded a written apology from the school.

Advertisement
ALSO READ  More men die of suicide in Africa, says CDC

In September 2020, the management of the Imo State University announced the suspension of two lecturers, who were alleged to have been involved in sexual misconduct with female students.

In February 2021, the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, announced the suspension of a lecturer in the Department of Archaeology and Tourism, Dr Chigozie Odum, over allegations bordering on sexual misconduct.

The Federal University, Oye-Ekiti, similarly suspended a lecturer in the Department of Media and Theatre Arts in June 2021 for sexual misconduct.

In the same month, the management of the University of Lagos announced the dismissal of two lecturers over similar offences.

In August of that year, the University of Port Harcourt announced the dismissal of a lecturer in the Department of Foreign Languages and Literature for sexual misconduct.

Advertisement

In October 2021, the Federal Polytechnic, Bauchi, also announced the dismissal of two lecturers from the departments of Nutrition/Dietetics and General Studies over sexual misconduct.

A lecturer in the Department of Sociology, Ignatius Ajuru University of Education was dismissed for impregnating a female student.

In December 2021, the Kwara State University, Malete, announced the dismissal of a lecturer for harassing a student in the Department of Pure and Applied Sciences.

In January 2022, the Elechi Amadi Polytechnic, Rivers State, announced the dismissal of a lecturer for harassing a female student.

In April 2022, OAU again launched a probe into allegations of sexual harassment against a professor in the Department of Linguistics and African Studies. So far, two professors have been affected in the institution.

Advertisement
ALSO READ  Dad arrested after horror shooting that killed his three kids

In June 2022, the Vice-Chancellor of the University of Abuja, Prof Abdul-Raheed Na’allah, announced the dismissal of two lecturers for sexual misconduct. Both of them are professors.

Earlier in 2023, the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission arraigned Dr. Balogun Olaniran of the Tai Solarin University of Education, who was said to have allegedly demanded sexual gratification from a female student to alter her results in 2021.

In March 2023, a lecturer at the Kogi State Polytechnic, Abutu Thompson, was dismissed on account of sexual harassment and victimisation of a female student in the Department of Computer Science.

In May, the management of the Ambrose Alli University in Edo State reportedly dismissed an unnamed lecturer over allegations bordering sexual harassment.

Reports noted that the lecturer was dismissed on the recommendations of the institution’s Staff Disciplinary Committee, which found him guilty of the offence.

Advertisement

According to AAU’s Vice Chancellor, Prof. Asomwan Adagbonyin, the dismissed lecturer had claimed to only make advances, yet he went to the girl’s church to plead for forgiveness.

In July 2023, the VC of UNIABUJA, Na’allah, said two lecturers were dismissed following allegations of sexual harassment.

In August, the management of the University of Calabar suspended the embattled Dean, Faculty of Law, Prof. Cyril Ndifon, over allegations of sexual harassment. Ndifon is currently being held by security operatives.

On September 7, 2023, the University of Lagos suspended a lecturer, Kadri Babalola, who was accused of raping a 21-year-old student.

Similarly, in October 2023, the Federal College of Forestry, Plateau state announced the suspension of four lecturers over allegations bordering sexual harassment of female students.

Advertisement
ALSO READ  Terrorist leader Junaidu Fasagora, scores of his fighters killed in Zamfara

Speaking with our correspondents on the matter, the Director of Programmes, Reform Education Nigeria, Ayodamola Oluwatoyin, urged President Bola Tinubu to sign the sexual harassment bill into law.

Oluwatoyin said, “The President signing the bill will be a game-changer. We need to make schools safe for our students. The most unfortunate part of the issue is that some of these students even when harassed are scared to come out in the open for fear of victimisation and other issues.”

Former Programme Manager, Gender Justice at the Shehu Musa Yar’Adua Foundation, Nafisa Atiku-Adejuwon, urged institutions to prevent survivors from being further victimised into silence and provide safe anonymous pathways for them to report such incidents.

Atiku-Adejuwon also called for the building of a system of trust between university management and the student population.

“The response system has to be survivour-centred and holistic; mental and physical health concerns must be taken seriously. The response system shouldn’t be created to make the university look good; it should be to take care of the survivors,” she added.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Crime

Wema Bank faces huge penalties for law violations in 2023

Published

on

wema bank

Wema Bank found itself on the wrong side of seven Nigerian laws in 2023, resulting in penalties totaling N61.350 million within the year.

This revelation surfaced in the bank’s full-year 2023 financial statement, highlighting that the institution had violated a cybersecurity law, a section of the Bank and Other Financial Institutions Act (BOFIA) 2020, and Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) circulars on Know Your Customers (KYC), among others.

Also read: Enza partners Wema Bank to enhance e-commerce payment capabilities

Regarding the cybersecurity framework, Wema Bank faced a fine of N2 million. Additionally, the lender was penalized N20 million for breaching Section 19(3A) of BOFIA, 2020. Furthermore, Wema Bank incurred a penalty of N17.45 million for non-compliance with CBN circulars on KYC.

The bank was also fined N10 million for the late rendition of final returns. The CBN’s KYC circulars aimed to curb money laundering and other financial crimes.

Advertisement

“There is no doubt that having sufficient information about your customer and making use of that information is the most effective weapon against being used to launder the proceeds of crime,” the CBN stated in its KYC manual, emphasizing the importance of KYC practices.

Similarly, Wema Bank faced a penalty of N8 million for breaches in Risk-Based Supervision (RBS). The institution was also penalized for regulatory breaches regarding CBN clearance, resulting in a fine of N2 million.

Additionally, the bank was fined N1.9 million for the late filing of its 2022 audited financial statements with the Nigerian Exchange Limited (NGX).

ALSO READ  Native doctor shoots his client dead while testing bulletproof charm in Enugu

Despite efforts to mitigate risks, fraud and burglary remained significant concerns for the bank, resulting in a loss of N256.387 million in 2023. However, this marked a considerable decrease from the N880.154 million lost in the corresponding period of 2022.

Credit risk analyst Mr. Osai Djemba noted that the bank must implement artificial intelligence measures to minimize exposure to theft, given the infiltration of sophisticated thieves and criminals in the Nigerian financial system.

Advertisement

In December 2023, Wema Bank left 9,974 complaints unresolved, with various customers demanding N10.843 billion in compensation. The bank, however, refunded N11.258 billion to customers (apart from the N10.843 billion), indicating its commitment to enhancing customer experience and efficiently resolving complaints.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2022 TheHeute.