Connect with us

News

Nigerian bakers announce new price hikes for bread

Published

on

theheute-BREAD-

Bakers in Kogi say they would impose a 20 per cent increase on bread from Monday.

Nigerians will pay more for bread in the coming days as bakers in some states have announced price hikes to cover the high cost of ingredients.

Kogi Master Bakers said on Sunday they were resuming production after weeks of strike, but will increase prices of their products.

The association had on Wednesday joined the nationwide strike declared by its national body to demand government intervention regarding prices of materials used in bread production.

“Although the federal government is yet to respond to our pleas and demands, we are satisfied that we have at least sent a message hoping for a positive result,” Gabriel Bamidele-Adeniyi, Chairman, Association of Master Bakers and Caterers of Nigeria, Kogi Chapter, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN).

Advertisement

“Unfortunately, as we resume production, July 25, prices of bread will definitely increase by 20 per cent.

“A bread of N200 will cost between N240 and N250, that of N500 will cost N600, that of N600; N750, that of N700 will cost N880 and that of N800; between N980 and N1, 000 respectively

“We want the public to know that the new increment in prices of stable bread is not our making but that of the increase in the prices of commodities we use in bread production.

“We want the government to see to it that prices of yeast, sugar and flour being imported are drastically reduced so that only three companies have the licence to import them.

ALSO READ  Chinese chamber denies barring Nigerian shoppers from Abuja supermarket

“Unfortunately those three firms are monopolizing the prices of sugar, yeast and flour to the detriment of bakers in Nigeria,” he lamented.

Advertisement

Mr Bamidele-Adeniyi appealed to the government to ensure that the sugar company in Bashuta commenced production and equally open the opportunity for members to obtain the licence to import and obtain loans for better bread production.

Bakers in Abuja said last week they had decided not to take part in the strike as they preferred to engage with the government to find solutions. They warned that they would suspend production, however, if that failed.

In Cross River, bakers said they were increasing prices and reducing production quantities amid high cost of ingredients and production.

This was disclosed by a leader of the state Master Bakers group, Thomas Odey, in an interview with NAN on Monday.

Mr Odey said the Cross River master bakers did not join the national body in their two weeks’ withdrawal of service but resolved to increase price and reduce the quantity of production to prevent wastage.

Advertisement

The Director of Canaan Delight Bakery Nigeria Limited said that a withdrawal of service was not good for the system as a lot of average Nigerians would suffer because bread was a staple commodity in the country.

“The planned increment is not even enough, this is because the price of every means of production has increased from condiments to diesel and all other raw materials.

“This is a global issue that is not peculiar to Nigeria or materials for baking alone but the price of every foodstuff has increased significantly.

ALSO READ  EPL: Pundits continue to praise Pickford in Everton vs Liverpool clash

“In my contacts with big flour mills in the country, they will tell you the Russia/Ukraine crisis, exchange rate and the issue of sourcing foreign currency are posing major challenges and increasing the price of wheat flour,” he said.

Speaking further, Mr Odey noted that the use of cassava and potato flour was an option but the challenge was that the specific species of cassava needed for good flour production was not sufficient in Nigeria.

Advertisement

He said the normal cassava that was common in Nigeria was bitter when used to produce flour while potato cultivation was still largely at subsistence level, making production insufficient in the country.

“In my training with Flour Mill, I discovered that they mixed cassava flour with wheat to get what they used but the kind of cassava they used was a specie we need to develop in large quantities.


Bread makers begin strike over rising costs


“Potato flour is also good and can be combined with wheat flour but the challenge is that it is not enough in the country for industrial purposes and is a seasonal crop.

“Nigeria needs to channel its resources and mindset to developing agriculture and stop paying lip service because if we continue to depend on the importation of foreign raw materials to salvage our few industries, it will never help us,” he asserted.

Residents Complain in Enugu

Last week, residents of Enugu decried the four-day warning strike embarked upon by bread bakers, as the current price of the commodity had become unaffordable.

Advertisement
ALSO READ  Just In: Gunmen Kill Man, Daughter Few Hours After Wife Put To Bed In Osogbo

Some of the residents, who spoke to NAN in Enugu on Sunday, said the warning strike had affected many bread consumers because it ended up making the price of the commodity to further increase.

Some bread sellers said there had been an increase in price of bread by 30 per cent following the strike by the Bakers Association of Nigeria.

A bread seller, Samson Igwe, said that the price would further increase across the state after the warning strike due to the high cost of raw materials used for baking bread.

Mr Igwe said although the price had increased, it did not feel that his customers would stop patronising him because a lot of people were still eating bread daily.

“My customers will only reduce the number of loaves they buy but will find it difficult to do away with eating bread daily,” he said.

Advertisement

Another bread seller, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said that the increase in the price would affect feeding patterns in many homes.

According to him, many families depend on bread for their breakfast and as a snack in between meals.

“With another increase in the price of bread, many families will find it difficult in feeding as many have reduced number of loaves of bread they buy from me due to increase in price,” he said.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

NURTW member, two others jailed for drug trafficking

Published

on

A 45-year-old driver and member of the National Union of Road Transport Workers, Tapha Mustapha, and two others, were on Thursday convicted and sentenced to two years’ imprisonment for trafficking hard drugs.

Other convicts sentenced alongside the NURTW member are Andrew Ukelere and Anthony Chiemerem.

The three convicts were earlier arraigned before the court by the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, on April 27, 2024, on charges bordering on conspiracy, trafficking in 13.9 kilograms of tramadol and 590 litres of Pentazocine, a psychotropic drug similar to cocaine.

During their arraignment, the prosecutor, Mariam I. Erondu, who was represented by Julian Negedu, told the court that the convicts were arrested with the drugs on March 19, 2024, on the Long Bridge area of the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Lagos State.

Advertisement

According to the prosecutor, the offences committed contravened Sections 11(b) of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency Act Cap N 30, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2004, and are punishable under the same Act.

The trio, however, pleaded guilty to the charges.

Following their guilty plea, Justice Kehinde Ogundare, adjourned the matter to Thursday for a review of facts and sentence, and then ordered that they be remanded at the Ikoyi Correctional Centre.

At the resumed hearing of the matter for review of facts, the prosecutor called Mr Benjamin Naetah, a Senior Exhibits Keeper with the agency, who tendered the drugs and other exhibits, which were admitted by the court.

Upon the conclusion of the review of facts, the prosecutor urged the court to convict and sentence the trio in accordance with the sections of the NDLEA Act that they were charged with.

Advertisement
ALSO READ  EPL: Pundits continue to praise Pickford in Everton vs Liverpool clash

But the convicts’ lawyers, Lilian Omotunde and Ore-Ofe Ogunleye, in their plea for mercy, urged the court to award a non-custodian sentence on their clients, being first-time convicts and for not wasting the time of the court.

Omotunde, who is the counsel for the first and second convicts, said: “The first convict is a first-time offender; he is a member of the National Union of Road Transport Workers. He was contracted by the roadside to deliver a good after Lagos State, but he was caught up by the law.

“The second convict is a 35-year-old medicine store attendant, who was sent on an errand by his master.

“I urge the court to award a non-custodian sentence,” she said.

Also, counsel for the third convict, Ogunleye, urged the court to award a non-custodian sentence to her client.

Advertisement

She particularly cited Section 426(2) paragraphs a, b, d and e of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA) 2015.

Responding to the counsel’s submissions, the prosecutor, Erondu, who also cited Section 311 of ACJA, urged the court to consider the commercial quantity of the prohibited drug seized from the convicts and the damage it would have done to the country.

In his judgment, Justice Ogundare sentenced the first and second convicts to two years imprisonment, while the third convict was sentenced to a year imprisonment.

The judge however ordered both the first and second convicts to pay the sum of N500,000 each, and the third convict to pay the sum of N100,000, in lieu of the jail term.

ALSO READ  Subomi Balogun was a symbol of the Nigerian dream

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Education

FG opens student loan application portal May 24

Published

on

The Federal Government, through the Nigerian Education Loan Fund, on Thursday, announced May 24, 2024, as the official date for “the opening of the portal for student loan applications.”

The announcement was made in a statement by the media lead for the NELFund, Nasir Ayantogo.

Ayantogo, in the statement, said the opening of the application portal marked a significant milestone in the commitment of President Bola Tinubu to “fostering accessible and inclusive education for all Nigerian students.”

On June 12, 2023, Tinubu signed the Access to Higher Education Act, 2023 into law to enable indigent students to access interest-free loans for their educational pursuits in any Nigerian tertiary institution.

Advertisement

The move was in “fulfillment of one of his campaign promises to liberalise funding of education,” a member of the then Presidential Strategy Team, Dele Alake, said.

The Act, popularly known as the Students Loan Law, also established the Nigerian Education Loan Fund to process all loan requests, grants, disbursement, and recovery.

Although the government initially announced that the scheme would be launched in September, it suffered several delays leading to an indefinite postponement in early March.

The Presidency had linked the delay to Tinubu’s directive to expand the scheme to include loans for vocational skills.

After receiving briefing from the NELFund team led by the Minister of State for Education, Dr Yusuf Sununu, on January 22, the President had directed the Fund to extend interest-free loans to Nigerian students interested in skill-development programmes.

Advertisement
ALSO READ  Being in uniform not an excuse to harass Nigerians’, Tunji-Ojo warns

Tinubu based his decision on the need for the scheme to accommodate those who may not want to pursue a university education, noting that skill acquisition is as essential as obtaining undergraduate and graduate academic qualifications.

“This is not an exclusive programme. It is catering to all of our young people. Young Nigerians are gifted in different areas.

“This is not only for those who want to be doctors, lawyers, and accountants. It is also for those who aspire to use their skilled and trained hands to build our nation.

“In accordance with this, I have instructed NELFund to explore all opportunities to inculcate skill-development programmes because not everybody wants to go through a full university education,” he had said.

Through the portal, students can now access loans to pursue their academic aspirations without financial constraints.

Advertisement

The portal, according to the statement, provides a user-friendly interface for students to submit their loan applications conveniently.

“We encourage all eligible students to take advantage of this opportunity to invest in their future and contribute to the growth and development of our nation.

“Students can access the portal on www.nelf.gov.ng to begin application,” the statement said.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Religion

Emir of Ilorin sent us to order you to disband -Muslim group storms Kwara Chrislam centre

Published

on

Members of an unidentified Muslim group recently stormed a worship centre that plays host to both Christian and Islamic services in the Alalubosa area of Ilorin, the Kwara State capital.

The group members who said they were acting on the instruction of the Emir Ilorin, Dr. Ibrahim Sulu-Gambari, revealed that the worship centre was originally a mosque but has been housing worshippers outside the religion.

They were led by a man referred to as “Olojatuntun” who declared that such practice was an anomaly that would not be tolerated.

“We are here because of the report that the mosque in Alubosa, Ilorin where Christians, Muslims, and even traditionalists worship. We observe this practice which should not happen in this town,” the man declared in a video that surfaced on Facebook and sighted by our correspondent on Thursday.

Advertisement

In the video, worshippers at the centre including four men, some women, and children were seen listening as the leader of the delegation voiced his displeasure.

Olojatuntun added that henceforth, such practice will not be tolerated as it contravenes the rules laid down by the forefathers of Ilorin.

“We are not here to fight but what we want in the name of the Emir is that the practice must not happen again. It is not an advice; if they must hold Christian service there, they can, but not mix things up.

“We won’t allow anyone to destroy this town; to gather people and ask them to be practicing both religions. So tell them (the owners of the mosque) that we must not come back. Though they could claim they own the land, this is the town of the Emir,” he stated.

ALSO READ  Just In: Gunmen Kill Man, Daughter Few Hours After Wife Put To Bed In Osogbo

Another video was cited by our correspondent, where members of the group met with the owner of the worship centre referred to as Iya Meta Lokan. The meeting was seemingly called to sort out concerns raised by the group.

Advertisement

The middle-aged woman, dressed in a white gown and covered in a white scarf, said she is a devoted Muslim but started her ministry “using the ways of Christians.”

“When I was called by God, I was told to teach following the Christian way,” she revealed.

She continued,” I was told to preach to both Muslims and Christians. I have been on the mountain; when Muslims come, we pray likewise for Christians.”

She added that focusing only on Islam will be difficult as that will be against her “spiritual call.”

Recall that a Lagos-based lawyer and human rights activist, Malcolm Omirhobo, in 2023 sued the Emir of Ilorin for allegedly stopping traditional religious worshippers from holding their Isese festival in Ilorin, Kwara State.

Advertisement

In the suit filed before the Kwara State High Court, Omirhobo, who described himself as an Olokun worshipper, asked the court to declare that the alleged action of the Emir was an affront to the constitutional rights to “freedom of dignity of the human person, freedom of thought, conscience, and religion, freedom of expression, freedom of peaceful assembly.”

In July of that year, Theheute reported that a Muslim group, Majlisu Shabab li Ulamahu Society, went to the house of a traditional religion priestess to warn her against going ahead with her planned Isese festival in Ilorin.

ALSO READ  DISCLAIMER: Evangelist Paul Makayi aka (SAINT PAUL)

The priestess, Yeye Ajesikemi Olokun Omolara Olatunji, an Osun devotee, had earlier reportedly released fliers announcing a three-day traditional event aimed at celebrating certain Yoruba deities.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2022 TheHeute.