Connect with us

Sports

I wanted to finish Edwards before KO – Usman

Published

on

Theheute-

At UFC 278, Kamaru Usman lost his welterweight title to Leon Edwards by a last-minute knockout when he was up 3-1.

In the fifth round, Englishman Edwards knocked him out with a high kick and prevented him from defending the welterweight title for the sixth time.

However, Usman has now explained why such a knockout and defeat occurred, and according to him, it happened because he was chasing the finish. Kamaru told TMZ Sports; “No, that’s not who I am,” Usman told TMZ.

“When I fight, I got pedal to the metal and I don’t look at the clock. I’m a goer, when I hear the (horn) I still want to go, and when the ref says, ‘Break, go to your corners,’ I still want to go.

Advertisement

“That’s the way that I fight. I wanted the finish, it was just a beautiful technique. I could’ve taken him down, but I really wanted a finish and when I was setting up, and only God knows what I was setting up, I didn’t land it, (who knows) how much damage it could’ve done, but it was just a beautiful technique.”

He added, “He threw head kicks throughout the fight, I blocked them all,” Usman said. “That one was just money, I’m almost in awe on how good it was, but it happens. Champions fall, then they get back and show you why they’re champions.”

UFC President Dana White has said on multiple occasions that the promotion’s plan is to set up a trilogy fight in early 2023 in London.

“How do you not (do a trilogy)? Yeah (I want to do it in England),” White revealed. “I don’t think (Leon would) have to sit and wait anyway. He wouldn’t have to wait that long. He’d have to go back into camp and start training anyway.

ALSO READ  EPL : Liverpool suffer double injury blow ahead of Manchester City clash

“First of all, we’d have to have the date. I think we’re booked up into January now. There will be no waiting for him, even if it’s a rematch.”

Advertisement

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

2022 World Cup: Unwanted history for hosts Qatar against Ecuador

Published

on

Qatar on Sunday, became the first host country to be defeated in their opening game in the 92-year history of the World Cup.

Ecuador beat the Middle East country 2-0 courtesy of two first-half goals from captain Enner Valencia. Ecuador’s captain also saw a goal ruled out for offside. The result means Qatar become the first host nation ever to lose their opening game at a World Cup.

It’s obviously not the start Qatar will have wanted to make to a competition that had been plagued by controversy before a ball had even been kicked.

Supporters also made their feelings clear about the match at half-time as they abandoned the game in large numbers with the hosts already 2-0 down. Initial estimates suggest around 20,000 supporters left the game at the break.

Advertisement

There were just 11 shots in this game (five for Qatar, six for Ecuador) – no World Cup match on record (since 1966) has seen fewer attempts.

The hosts return to action on Friday against Senegal.

ALSO READ  EPL: He’s been outstanding, kept Casemiro on bench – Murphy hails Man United star
Continue Reading

Sports

Victor Osimhen Bags Huge International Award And Recognition

Published

on

Nigeria and Napoli forward Victor Osimhen has received a huge international award and recognition for his relentless contribution at the international and club level.

The Super Eagles of Nigeria and Napoli forward Victor Osimhen received a huge international award from the Globe Soccer Awards. The talented player was recognized for his immense contribution to both club and country.

He was crowned the Emerging Player Of The Year 2022, which was deserved on every level as the player has continued to show his importance at the club level for Napoli by contributing towards the impressive run of the club in the new season as well as the previous season.

Although the Super Eagles of Nigeria would not be going to the World Cup 2022 in Qatar, he had been one of the stand-out players for the Eagles in their qualifiers.

Advertisement

Contragulations Victor.

ALSO READ  EPL : Liverpool suffer double injury blow ahead of Manchester City clash
Continue Reading

Sports

2022 World Cup: I am totally, absolutely focused on Portugal- Ronaldo says amid Man Utd criticism

Published

on

In the wake of his scathing interview about Manchester United, Cristiano Ronaldo declares that Portugal will be his “absolute focus” during the World Cup.

The five-time Ballon d’Or winner, in an interview with Piers Morgan for TalkTV, which will be made public in its entirety on Wednesday, criticised United manager Erik ten Hag, Ralf Rangnick, and senior officials at Old Trafford.

Ronaldo claimed that United had “betrayed” him and that the team had not advanced since Alex Ferguson left in 2013.

Man Utd react to Ronaldo’s interview with Piers Morgan

After the interview, United reacted with a statement on Monday mentioning it and promising to respond “after the full facts have been established.”

Advertisement

Prior to Portugal’s November 24 match against Ghana in Group H, the 37-year-old declared on Monday that his entire attention would be on playing for Portugal in Qatar.

“Total and absolute focus on national team work. United group, towards one objective: realise the dream of all Portuguese people!,” he posted on Instagram.

Despite missing United’s previous two games due to “illness,” he posted a photo of himself with his Portugal teammates during a training session.

Without Ronaldo, the Red Devils defeated Fulham 2-1 on Sunday, moving them up to fifth place in the Premier League, three points behind Tottenham with one game remaining.

In the Middle East, where Fernando Santos’ team will also play Uruguay and South Korea, Portugal captain Cristiano Ronaldo hopes to lead his nation to World Cup triumph.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2022 TheHeute.