Connect with us

sports

Cancelo Accepts Pay Cut for Barcelona Return

Published

on

Cancelo

The 32-year-old Portuguese defender says he would rather spend a season without playing than continue at Al Hilal after securing a three-year Barcelona deal

João Cancelo has revealed that he was prepared to spend an entire season without playing football rather than remain at Al Hilal, after sacrificing part of his salary to secure a return to Barcelona on a three-year contract.

Advertisement

Also read: Rodri Gets Barcelona’s Iconic No. 16 Shirt

The 32-year-old Portuguese defender arrived in Barcelona on Monday, August 17, 2026, to complete his permanent move after terminating his contract with the Saudi Pro League club. Reports indicate that the transfer has been completed without a fee following the termination of his Al Hilal contract.

Cancelo made clear that his desire to return to the Catalan club was strong enough for him to accept a financial compromise.

“I’m very happy, I’m very pleased to be here, I’m where I want to be,” Cancelo said on his arrival in Spain.

Advertisement

“I trained separately for a week. I informed Deco that it was either I came here or I would spend a year there without playing, while still receiving my salary.”

The defender added: “I sacrificed part of my salary, but it was either signing for Barça or nothing. It’s a very special club, I’m here to contribute and I hope to achieve many titles. We’re constructing a great team.”

The Cancelo Barcelona return represents his third spell with the Spanish giants after two successful loan periods.

Advertisement

Barcelona had initially brought Cancelo back from Al Hilal on loan in January 2026, with the Portuguese full-back spending the second half of the season at the club. Barcelona officially confirmed the temporary move at the time, with Cancelo returning to the side after his first loan spell in the 2023-24 campaign.

His latest season in Catalonia saw him make 23 appearances across competitions, scoring four goals and providing four assists, according to the figures provided by the player and reports surrounding his return.

Cancelo’s first Barcelona spell came during the 2023-24 season, when he joined on loan from Manchester City. He made 42 appearances in all competitions during that campaign, scoring four goals and registering five assists.

Advertisement

His affinity for Barcelona had been evident well before the latest transfer was completed.

During his second loan spell, the defender made little secret of his desire to remain at the club permanently, while Barcelona also explored ways of keeping him despite his contractual situation with Al Hilal.

Barcelona and Al Hilal had agreed to his second loan in January, allowing the Portuguese international to return to European football.

Advertisement

Cancelo originally joined Al Hilal from Manchester City in August 2024 on a three-year contract.

The Saudi club confirmed his arrival after his spell at City, where he had established himself as one of Europe’s leading attacking full-backs.

His time in Saudi Arabia ultimately proved shorter than expected.

Advertisement

By May 2026, Cancelo had publicly expressed frustration with his situation at Al Hilal and made his desire to return to Barcelona clear. Spanish reports subsequently indicated that he was unwilling to continue in Saudi Arabia despite having a contract that originally ran until 2027.

Al Hilal’s own records show that Cancelo made 45 appearances for the club during the 2025-26 season, scoring three goals.

His departure now allows him to begin another chapter at Barcelona, where he is expected to compete for a regular role under head coach Hansi Flick.

Advertisement

The move also gives Cancelo an opportunity to continue his relationship with a club he has repeatedly described in emotional terms.

“I’m here to contribute and I hope to achieve many titles,” he said, underlining his ambition as he begins his third spell in Barcelona colours.

For a player who was willing to sacrifice part of a substantial salary simply to make the move happen, the message is unmistakable: Cancelo’s immediate priority is football, and his preferred destination was Barcelona.

Advertisement

Also read: Sergio Busquets Lands New Coaching Role at Barcelona

His return adds experience and versatility to a Barcelona side that is continuing to reshape its squad ahead of the new season, while giving Cancelo the opportunity to turn a determined pursuit of the club into another chapter of his career.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

sports

Rodri Gets Barcelona’s Iconic No. 16 Shirt

Published

on

Rodri

Rodri Barcelona shirt number has been revealed as No. 16, with the Spain midfielder set to join the Catalan club until June 2030 (more…)

Continue Reading

Trending