Connect with us

sports

Martinez Dismisses Calls to Rest Ronaldo as Childish

Published

on

Martinez

Portugal coach Roberto Martinez has dismissed calls to rest Cristiano Ronaldo as childish, insisting the superstar is fully capable of playing every minute despite a goalless draw against Colombia

Portugal football team head coach Roberto Martinez completely dismissed suggestions that Cristiano Ronaldo should have been rested for their FIFA World Cup 2026 Group K match against Colombia on Sunday.

Advertisement

Also read: Klopp Names Messi and Ronaldo as Best Players in the World at 2026 World Cup

There were some chatter among fans and experts that Ronaldo should have been rested just like Lionel Messi and Erling Haaland.

However, Martinez called such comparisons “childish” and said that the Portugal superstar is fully capable of playing every minute.

Ronaldo’s performance did not impress as Portugal were held to a 0-0 draw by Colombia. In contrast, Messi came on as a substitute during Argentina’s match against Jordan while Haaland did not feature for Norway at all during their final group stage game against France.

Advertisement

“We don’t compare with other players of other teams.

That would be childish,” Martinez said after the match.

Martinez went on to explain that Ronaldo’s game was based on experience and discipline. “Cristiano is used to being in the right place at the right time. It’s more a question of mentally being strong and always being disciplined in position and always opening space in our attacking patterns,” he said.

Advertisement

This Martinez Ronaldo rest defence comes after Portugal failed to secure a victory in the group stage match, with the result leaving their progression to the knockout rounds in a delicate balance.

Also readRonaldo Praised by Henry for Selfless 2026 World Cup Moment

The coach’s comments highlight his continued faith in the 41-year-old forward’s fitness and leadership, even as questions linger about rotation strategies for key players during the demanding World Cup schedule.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

sports

Arsenal target Man Utd youngsters Scanlon, Ogunneye

Published

on

Arsenal

Arsenal are working on deals for Man Utd youngsters James Scanlon and Habeeb Ogunneye as the Premier League champions strengthen their youth ranks

Arsenal and Manchester United are in talks over potential moves for James Scanlon and Habeeb Ogunneye in London on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, with Arsenal working to recruit the two promising United youngsters before the summer transfer window closes.

Also read: Man United close in on £60m-plus Baleba deal

According to The Telegraph, Arsenal are pursuing deals for both players and are increasingly confident that agreements can be reached this summer. The report does not indicate that either transfer has been completed.

Advertisement

Scanlon, 19, is an attacking player who has represented Gibraltar at senior international level. The youngster has already collected 24 caps for the national team and has continued to develop through Manchester United’s academy system.

The Gibraltar international spent the second half of the previous campaign on loan at Swindon Town, giving Scanlon valuable experience of senior football away from United’s Carrington training base.

Scanlon’s international career has also provided a notable milestone. The Manchester United academy product became Gibraltar’s youngest-ever goalscorer and the youngest player to score in the UEFA Nations League.

Advertisement

Ogunneye, 20, is a right-back who has also been involved around United’s first-team environment.

The London-born defender spent part of last season on loan at Newport County, where Ogunneye gained further experience in senior football.

Ogunneye has previously been included in United first-team matchday squads, underlining the regard in which the club has held the defender during his development.

Advertisement

Arsenal’s interest in the pair forms part of a wider effort to strengthen the club’s youth structure.

Reports suggest the club have been actively searching for young players who can develop into first-team options rather than focusing solely on established names.

The potential double move is particularly intriguing because Manchester United have themselves benefited from recruiting young Arsenal talent in recent seasons.

Advertisement

Ayden Heaven and Chido Obi-Martin both left Arsenal’s academy for United, making a possible move in the opposite direction an interesting twist in the rivalry.

Arsenal also have practical reasons for strengthening their youth ranks. Reports have linked the club’s recruitment plans to the need for additional options in wide areas and at right-back, while injuries and academy departures have created openings for new prospects.

For Manchester United, losing two academy players to a direct Premier League rival would represent a significant decision.

Advertisement

Both Scanlon and Ogunneye have shown enough potential to attract serious interest, but neither has yet established a regular place in United’s senior side.

There is also no suggestion at this stage that the deals are imminent. The latest reports indicate that Arsenal are confident agreements can be reached, rather than confirming that terms have already been settled.

Also read: Curtis Jones: Inter Milan agree £30m deal for Liverpool midfielder

With the summer window approaching its final stages, the next few weeks could determine whether Arsenal complete what would be a striking double raid on Manchester United’s academy.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Trending