Connect with us

sports

CAF Introduces Tough Reforms After Chaotic AFCON Final

Published

on

CAF

CAF announces major AFCON reforms after the controversial 2025 final between Senegal and Morocco sparked global criticism

Confederation of African Football has announced sweeping new reforms following the controversial 2025 Africa Cup of Nations final in Morocco, admitting there were major failures in refereeing and match management during the tournament decider.

Advertisement

Also readNigeria Celebrates Major CAF A Coaching Approval Breakthrough

CAF President Patrice Motsepe said the organisation conducted a full review of the chaotic final and introduced fresh measures aimed at protecting the integrity and credibility of African football.

According to Motsepe, problems surrounding officiating decisions and overall match coordination contributed significantly to the confusion that overshadowed the final in Rabat.

The dramatic encounter initially ended with Senegal defeating Morocco 1-0 after extra time and being crowned champions.

Advertisement

However, the result was later overturned by CAF’s appeal committee after disciplinary sanctions were imposed on Senegal following protests linked to a late VAR penalty decision.

The final was also marred by security disturbances inside the stadium and allegations of unsporting conduct during the match.

Among the complaints raised were accusations that Senegal’s goalkeeper was deliberately distracted by ball boys and opposition officials during crucial moments of the game.

Advertisement

Motsepe said the new CAF AFCON reforms would focus heavily on improving the use of Video Assistant Referee technology, strengthening referee education programmes and tightening stadium security operations.

CAF also announced plans to introduce clearer and more transparent disciplinary procedures to avoid future disputes.

The football body stressed that African football must continue striving toward international standards of fairness, professionalism and integrity.

Advertisement

The fallout from the controversial final triggered widespread criticism from several figures within global football.

Former Nigel Reo-Coker said the incident damaged the image of African football internationally and raised concerns about tournament governance.

Senegal’s football authorities strongly condemned the decision to strip the country of the title, describing the ruling as “robbery” and unfair treatment.

Advertisement

The dispute has now been taken to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, which is expected to deliver a final ruling on the matter.

CAF has stated that it will respect and implement whatever decision is eventually reached by CAS.

Also readCAF President Motsepe Visits Senegal Amid AFCON Title Controversy

The governing body said the reforms are intended to ensure that a similarly chaotic and divisive AFCON final never happens again.

Advertisement

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

sports

Cubarsí Leads 2026 Golden Boy Race Ahead of Yamal

Published

on

Cubarsí

Pau Cubarsí tops the current Golden Boy Award 2026 standings ahead of teammate Lamine Yamal and Real Madrid’s Yan Diomande

Barcelona defender Pau Cubarsí is currently leading the 2026 Golden Boy Award race, according to the latest standings released by Italian sports newspaper Tuttosport, with teammate Lamine Yamal in second and Yan Diomande third.

Also read: Trabzonspor Set €30m Price for Onuachu

Transfer expert Fabrizio Romano reported on Tuesday that Cubarsí is currently ahead of the field as the voting process continues, with the final vote still expected later this year.

Advertisement

Yamal’s second-place position comes with an important caveat. The Barcelona forward cannot win the award again this year because he previously claimed the Golden Boy prize in 2024.

The 2026 race is still open, with Tuttosport continuing to update its rankings before the final voting stage.

The award is presented to the outstanding young player in European top-flight football and is decided by an international jury of sports journalists.

Advertisement

Cubarsí’s position reflects his growing reputation at Barcelona. The defender has become an increasingly important figure for the Spanish club and has already collected major honours during his young career.

Diomande’s presence in third also underlines the strength of this year’s field.

The Real Madrid youngster is among the 100 players initially shortlisted for the 2026 award, with the list due to be reduced to 20 finalists before the winner is selected.

Advertisement

The Golden Boy has a distinguished history, with previous winners including Lionel Messi, Wayne Rooney, Erling Haaland, Kylian Mbappé, Jude Bellingham and Yamal.

Also read: Okocha Picks Messi Over Ronaldo as Football’s Better Player

For Cubarsí, however, the immediate task is to maintain his advantage. With the decisive voting still to come, the Barcelona defender has emerged as the early favourite, but the final outcome remains open.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending