Sixteen passengers remain missing after a boat carrying 77 farmers, labourers, women and children capsized in Gorau, Goronyo LGA
The Sokoto State Police Command on Thursday, August 20, 2026, confirmed that 46 bodies had been recovered and 15 passengers rescued alive after a boat carrying 77 people capsized in Gorau community, Goronyo Local Government Area, leaving 16 others missing as emergency teams continued a desperate search.
The boat was carrying farmers, labourers and other passengers travelling towards rice farms when it overturned, throwing Gorau into mourning and leaving families waiting anxiously for news of relatives who had been on board.
DSP Ahmed Rufai, spokesman for the Sokoto State Police Command, confirmed the latest figures and said local divers were working alongside the National Emergency Management Agency, the Sokoto State Emergency Management Agency and the police.
“Forty-six corpses have so far been recovered, while 15 persons were rescued alive. The rescue team, comprising local divers, NEMA, SEMA and the Police, is still searching for the remaining 16 persons,” Rufai said.
He confirmed that 77 people were on the boat when the accident occurred.
The cause of the accident was not immediately established, with the search and recovery operation continuing as authorities sought to account for everyone who had been on board.
Local residents said the accident occurred on Thursday morning and that community divers moved quickly into the water as reports of the disaster spread.
One resident, who asked not to be identified, said several bodies had been recovered while only a small number of passengers were initially rescued.
“Only a few people were initially reported rescued, while several bodies were recovered from the water. Rescue efforts are ongoing as local divers and emergency responders continue searching for those still missing,” the resident said.
The scale of the tragedy has brought renewed attention to the risks faced by farming communities that depend on waterways to reach agricultural land.
According to Reuters, local officials and residents said the boat was carrying more than 70 people, including farm owners and labourers hired to harvest rice. The news agency also reported that many of those who died were believed to be children between the ages of 10 and 15.
The latest official figure from the Sokoto police places the number of people on board at 77, although figures reported earlier in the day varied as rescuers and local authorities worked to establish an accurate passenger count. Channels Television also reported the police figure of 77 passengers and 46 recovered bodies.
The tragedy has a painful connection with another boat disaster in the same local government area.
On August 17, 2025, a boat capsized around Kojiyo village in Goronyo Local Government Area while carrying more than 50 passengers towards Goronyo Market. NEMA later confirmed that 41 people had been rescued and four had died, while an earlier search had recorded 16 survivors. (NEMA Nigeria)
The 2025 incident prompted a multi-agency response involving NEMA, SEMA, the National Inland Waterways Authority, police, local authorities and community divers.
The Sokoto State Government subsequently said it had procured 20 motorised boats and life jackets for distribution to riverine communities, with two allocated to Goronyo.
The recurrence of a major accident in Goronyo a year later has therefore raised fresh questions about the safety of waterways used daily by farming and riverine communities.
Nigeria has continued to record deadly boat accidents, particularly during the rainy season. Poor maintenance, overcrowding and weak enforcement of safety measures have repeatedly been identified as contributing factors in such disasters.
Reuters reported that at least 25 people died in a separate boat accident in Yobe State in January 2026.
In Sokoto itself, a series of accidents in 2025 prompted warnings over the safety of local water transportation. In one August 2025 accident, a lawmaker representing Goronyo-Gada Federal Constituency attributed the recurring incidents partly to poor adherence to safety measures.
For residents of Gorau, however, Thursday’s tragedy was not an abstract safety problem but a devastating loss affecting families across the community.
A senior NEMA official who identified himself as Alhaji Ibrahim said the agency had mobilised personnel to join the search.
“Our officials are currently on their way to the community to join the rescue operation,” he said.
The emergency response remained focused on finding the 16 people still unaccounted for, while the recovery of bodies continued.
The African Democratic Congress governorship candidate in Sokoto State, Manir Muhammad Dan’iya, described the incident as a “devastating tragedy” and expressed concern over reports that some of the passengers were children.
“I am deeply saddened by this tragic incident and the loss of precious lives in Gorau. My thoughts and prayers are with the families who have lost their loved ones and those whose relatives are still missing,” Dan’iya said in a statement issued by his media aide, Aminu Abdullahi.
Dan’iya commended residents and local divers who joined the search and urged the Sokoto State Government and emergency agencies to provide additional rescue personnel, medical teams and equipment.
He also called for proper identification and documentation of recovered victims so that families can receive assistance and obtain clarity about the fate of their relatives.
The ADC candidate said the incident should prompt a broader assessment of waterways used by farming communities across Sokoto.
“No farmer should have to risk his or her life simply to access a farm and provide food for the family,” he said.
Dan’iya called for regulated boats, life jackets, properly trained boat operators and stronger emergency response capacity.
He also urged authorities to consider bridges and alternative crossings where they could provide safer access to farms and communities.
The appeal comes against a difficult reality in riverine parts of northern Nigeria, where waterways can provide the quickest route to farms and markets but also become dangerous transport corridors when boats are overloaded or safety equipment is unavailable.
For the families gathered around the latest disaster, the immediate priority remains the search for those still missing.
The 46 bodies already recovered have turned the accident into one of the most devastating recent boat tragedies in Sokoto, while the 15 survivors offer a small measure of relief amid the grief.
The search for the remaining 16 passengers continues, with local divers and government emergency agencies working to bring the operation to a conclusion and provide families with answers.