The 23-year-old defender faces an uncertain Real Madrid future as Jorge Mendes searches for a new club amid a thigh injury
Real Madrid manager José Mourinho has reportedly told 23-year-old defender Raúl Asencio that he is not part of his plans for the new season, leaving the Spanish centre-back facing an uncertain future as agent Jorge Mendes explores a potential move away from the club.
According to reports from Spanish journalist José Félix Díaz and other Spanish media, Mourinho has informed Asencio that regular playing time is unlikely under his management.
MARCA previously reported that the coach had told the defender he did not count on him and that the club and Mendes were working on finding a suitable destination.
The reported decision represents a significant change in Asencio’s situation. The academy graduate had been viewed as a player capable of establishing himself in Madrid’s defence, and his contract runs until 2031.
Asencio had also hoped to convince Mourinho that he could remain useful to the first team. A June report from AS said the defender was determined to stay at the Santiago Bernabéu and had been working intensively during the summer to prove his value to the new manager.
The situation has since shifted, with Mendes now understood to be exploring options for his client.
Real Madrid are also open to an Asencio exit, although reports indicate that no concrete offer has yet materialised. The club’s squad planning is closely linked to the defender’s future, particularly as Mourinho seeks further adjustments to his defensive options.
The timing has been made more difficult by an injury.
Real Madrid confirmed on July 30 that Asencio had suffered a muscle injury to the rectus femoris in his right leg. Spanish reports put his expected absence at roughly four to six weeks, meaning he is set to miss the beginning of the La Liga campaign.
The injury has complicated the transfer picture because interested clubs may be reluctant to commit to a deal while the defender is unavailable.
It also comes at a delicate stage of Mourinho’s rebuilding project at Madrid. Reports indicate that the Portuguese manager wants further defensive reinforcements, making squad space and the futures of existing defenders important elements of the club’s transfer strategy.
Asencio’s case is particularly striking because his trajectory had appeared promising only months ago.
The 23-year-old made 23 La Liga appearances last season despite several injury problems, according to Reuters, and had continued to attract interest from clubs outside Spain.
His current contract also gives Real Madrid considerable control over his future, but the immediate question is whether the club can find a destination that suits both the player and its sporting plans.
Asencio has previously expressed a desire to remain in Madrid and compete for his place.
That ambition now faces a formidable obstacle if Mourinho’s reported assessment of his prospects remains unchanged.
For Mendes, the challenge is therefore twofold: finding a club willing to take on the defender and navigating the uncertainty created by his injury.
For Real Madrid, meanwhile, an eventual transfer could help reshape Mourinho’s squad, but the club must first find a solution that works for all sides.
With the new season approaching, Asencio’s future has become one of the more intriguing unresolved questions in Madrid’s squad, with his recovery likely to play an important role in determining how quickly the next chapter of his career takes shape.