Connect with us

news

Spain to relocate 500 migrant minors from Ceuta

Published

on

Spain

Spain migrant minors in Ceuta face relocation to mainland Spain as authorities seek safer accommodation and urgent protection for vulnerable children

Spain is preparing to relocate about 500 unaccompanied migrant minors from Ceuta to mainland Spain on Thursday, August 20, 2026, as the Spanish government and local authorities work to ease intense pressure on the North African enclave’s child protection system.

Also read: Army Makes Key Arms Recovery After Plateau Threat

The proposed transfer is being coordinated by Spain’s Ministry of Youth and Children and the authorities in Ceuta, with particular attention being given to vulnerable girls and younger children.

Advertisement

The move follows a large influx of migrants from Morocco into Ceuta on July 30 and 31. Spanish authorities said more than 70,000 people entered during the two-day surge, although most later returned to Morocco.

The scale of the arrival has placed exceptional pressure on Ceuta, which has limited capacity to accommodate unaccompanied children.

Figures from Spain’s Interior Ministry showed that 2,168 minors had been identified in Ceuta between July 30 and August 18.

Advertisement

The children were placed under the responsibility of the local authorities while officials considered longer-term solutions.

The proposed relocation is intended to provide the children with safer accommodation and access to appropriate care.

Options under consideration include placement with child protection organisations, foster care and temporary accommodation in other parts of Spain.

Advertisement

The Spanish government has repeatedly stressed that the welfare of unaccompanied children should remain central to its response.

Spain’s Minister for Youth and Children, Sira Rego, said earlier this month that family reunification would be prioritised where possible, depending on where a child’s family is located.

For children without relatives who can provide care, Spanish authorities are expected to assume responsibility for protecting their rights and welfare.

Advertisement

“We are going to guarantee all the economic, technical and human support to Ceuta,” Rego said during a visit to the enclave, adding that the government would work towards providing a dignified reception for unaccompanied migrant children.

The government has also announced a €25 million extraordinary allocation for Ceuta to support the reception of migrant children, with Spain’s regional authorities expected to discuss the funding later in August.

The urgency surrounding the transfer has also been heightened by concerns about the safety of women and children in the enclave.

Advertisement

Reuters reported this week that more than a dozen migrant women had reported harassment and unsafe conditions in Ceuta following the mass arrival.

At least 15 reports of sexual assault, mostly involving minors, had been filed, according to local authorities and court records cited by the news agency.

Against that backdrop, officials have identified vulnerable girls as a particular priority for relocation.

Advertisement

The situation has nevertheless become politically contentious. Spain’s opposition People’s Party has argued that the minors should be returned to Morocco, while the government maintains that children who require protection must be dealt with according to Spanish law.

The issue also reflects a wider disagreement over how Spain should respond to the unprecedented July influx.

The government has faced criticism over its handling of the border crisis, while authorities in Ceuta have warned that local services cannot indefinitely shoulder the responsibility alone.

Advertisement

The pressure has been evident in the child protection system. Save the Children said earlier in August that around 1,500 children were already within the protection system, while social and community organisations estimated that thousands more remained outside it awaiting identification and access to safe accommodation.

The relocation of the 500 children would therefore represent a significant step in Madrid’s effort to spread responsibility for their care beyond Ceuta.

For the children involved, however, the immediate issue is less political. The planned transfer is ultimately about finding secure accommodation and appropriate protection after an extraordinary period of uncertainty.

Advertisement

Also read: Army Makes Key Arms Recovery After Plateau Threat

The Spanish authorities now face the delicate task of implementing the relocation while balancing child welfare, migration policy and the competing demands of Ceuta and Spain’s mainland regions.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

news

Army Makes Key Arms Recovery After Plateau Threat

Published

on

Army

Plateau arms recovery sees troops seize five rifles and 15 rounds of ammunition after intelligence raised fears of an attack in Mangu (more…)

Continue Reading

Trending