Connect with us

sports

Roberto Martinez Quits Portugal After World Cup Exit

Published

on

Roberto Martinez

Roberto Martinez Quits Portugal after the team’s World Cup exit to Spain, ending his tenure with a message of gratitude to Portuguese fans

Roberto Martinez has stepped down as head coach of Portugal following the team’s elimination from the 2026 FIFA World Cup, confirming his departure after a 1-0 Round of 16 defeat to Spain at the Dallas Cowboys’ stadium.

Also read: World Cup Co-hosts Crash Out Before Quarter-finals

The 52-year-old Spanish coach announced his decision shortly after Portugal’s campaign ended with a late goal from Spain substitute Mikel Merino, which secured victory for the European rivals and brought an end to Portugal’s hopes of reaching the quarter-finals.

Advertisement

” It is true that it was my last game with the Portugal national team,” Martinez told reporters after the match.

Martinez’s departure had been widely anticipated, with his contract set to expire after the tournament. He took charge of Portugal in 2023 after leaving his role as Belgium manager, where he guided the team through a successful period that included a third-place finish at the 2018 FIFA World Cup.

Before managing Belgium, Martinez built his coaching reputation in English football, working with Swansea City, Wigan Athletic and Everton.

Advertisement

His time with Portugal was marked by both strong attacking displays and persistent criticism over his continued selection of veteran captain Cristiano Ronaldo.

Some observers questioned whether the 41-year-old forward’s influence limited opportunities for younger players, while Martinez consistently defended Ronaldo’s role and leadership within the squad.

Following Portugal’s exit, Martinez expressed gratitude for the support he received from Portuguese supporters and described his period with the national team as a deeply meaningful experience.

Advertisement

“Thank you to the Portuguese people because it was an incredible period, a pride which I can’t describe,” Martinez said.

“All that strength, energy we had from all the fans, from all the Portuguese people was incredible.”

During his tenure, Martinez led Portugal through major international tournaments and continued the team’s transition between generations, balancing established stars with emerging talents.

Advertisement

However, the failure to progress deep into the 2026 World Cup ultimately brought his tenure to a close.

Portugal’s elimination also marked the likely final World Cup appearance for Ronaldo, who had earlier confirmed that the tournament would be his last on football’s biggest stage.

Also read: World Cup Co-hosts Crash Out Before Quarter-finals

Martinez leaves Portugal with appreciation from supporters but also amid debate over squad management, tactical choices and the direction of the national team as it prepares for a new era.

Advertisement

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

sports

Cubarsí Leads 2026 Golden Boy Race Ahead of Yamal

Published

on

Cubarsí

Pau Cubarsí tops the current Golden Boy Award 2026 standings ahead of teammate Lamine Yamal and Real Madrid’s Yan Diomande

Barcelona defender Pau Cubarsí is currently leading the 2026 Golden Boy Award race, according to the latest standings released by Italian sports newspaper Tuttosport, with teammate Lamine Yamal in second and Yan Diomande third.

Also read: Trabzonspor Set €30m Price for Onuachu

Transfer expert Fabrizio Romano reported on Tuesday that Cubarsí is currently ahead of the field as the voting process continues, with the final vote still expected later this year.

Advertisement

Yamal’s second-place position comes with an important caveat. The Barcelona forward cannot win the award again this year because he previously claimed the Golden Boy prize in 2024.

The 2026 race is still open, with Tuttosport continuing to update its rankings before the final voting stage.

The award is presented to the outstanding young player in European top-flight football and is decided by an international jury of sports journalists.

Advertisement

Cubarsí’s position reflects his growing reputation at Barcelona. The defender has become an increasingly important figure for the Spanish club and has already collected major honours during his young career.

Diomande’s presence in third also underlines the strength of this year’s field.

The Real Madrid youngster is among the 100 players initially shortlisted for the 2026 award, with the list due to be reduced to 20 finalists before the winner is selected.

Advertisement

The Golden Boy has a distinguished history, with previous winners including Lionel Messi, Wayne Rooney, Erling Haaland, Kylian Mbappé, Jude Bellingham and Yamal.

Also read: Okocha Picks Messi Over Ronaldo as Football’s Better Player

For Cubarsí, however, the immediate task is to maintain his advantage. With the decisive voting still to come, the Barcelona defender has emerged as the early favourite, but the final outcome remains open.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending