Connect with us

sports

EPL: Iraola Says Liverpool Need More Wingers

Published

on

Liverpool

Iraola says Liverpool wing options must improve as the Reds prepare for life without Mohamed Salah and Sunday’s Premier League opener at Newcastle

Andoni Iraola, Liverpool manager, said on Friday, August 21, 2026, that Liverpool need to strengthen their wing options as the club prepares for Sunday’s Premier League opener against Newcastle United at St James’ Park.

Also read: Thomas Partey Joins Al Shabab on Free Transfer

Iraola, who arrived from Bournemouth during the close season to replace Arne Slot, faces the demanding task of reshaping a Liverpool side that has undergone significant changes since winning the Premier League title two seasons ago.

Advertisement

The Spanish coach acknowledged that Liverpool do not currently have enough established options on the flanks, particularly after the departure of Mohamed Salah.

“In terms of what we need, there are certain situations that, for me, are clear, especially on the wing because we do not have enough players able to play in those positions,” Iraola told reporters on Friday.

Salah’s departure represents one of the most significant changes to Liverpool’s attacking structure.

Advertisement

The Egypt international joined Turkish club Trabzonspor earlier this month after a remarkable Anfield career that produced 257 goals and major honours, including Premier League and Champions League titles.

The 34-year-old forward had been a central figure in Liverpool’s attack since 2016-17, making his absence particularly significant as Iraola prepares for his first competitive match in charge.

Liverpool have brought in Victor Munoz during the summer and retain Federico Chiesa and teenage winger Rio Ngumoha as attacking options.

Advertisement

However, an injury to Hugo Ekitike and uncertainty surrounding Cody Gakpo have further complicated Iraola’s choices.

The manager made clear that Liverpool’s recruitment should not simply be about filling positions. Iraola wants additions capable of raising the overall quality of the squad.

“It is not about signing a player because we need someone in a particular position. No. It is about improving the squad,” he said. “We have very good players already here, so to improve, you need a specific level of player.”

Advertisement

Liverpool’s rebuilding task extends beyond the attack.

Centre-back Ibrahima Konate has moved to Real Madrid, while left-back Andrew Robertson has joined Tottenham, leaving Iraola to replace considerable experience alongside the attacking influence lost with Salah.

Liverpool finished fifth in the Premier League last season, a sharp decline from their title-winning campaign the previous year.

Advertisement

Iraola has therefore inherited a squad that requires both tactical adjustment and a renewed competitive edge.

The former Bournemouth manager arrives with considerable credit after guiding Bournemouth to European qualification last season through an energetic and tactically adventurous style.

At Liverpool, Iraola will be expected to restore that intensity while competing for the Premier League title against a field strengthened by substantial investment across the division.

Advertisement

The transfer window remains open until September 1, leaving Liverpool with time to pursue further reinforcements.

Iraola, however, insists his immediate attention is on Newcastle rather than the uncertainty surrounding potential transfers.

“You have seen the very good players that we have right now in the building, so we can be competitive from the beginning,” he said.

Advertisement

That opening fixture will offer an early indication of how quickly Iraola can impose his ideas on a team entering a new era.

For Liverpool, the challenge is particularly striking. The club must move forward without a player who helped define its modern identity while finding enough attacking depth to remain a formidable force.

Also read: Thomas Partey Joins Al Shabab on Free Transfer

Iraola’s call for stronger Liverpool wing options therefore reflects a broader rebuilding project, one in which youth, recruitment and tactical adaptation will all be crucial to the club’s ambitions this season.

Advertisement

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

sports

Thomas Partey Joins Al Shabab on Free Transfer

Published

on

Thomas Partey

Thomas Partey joins Al Shabab on a free transfer, with the Ghana midfielder beginning a new chapter in the Saudi Pro League.

Ghana midfielder Thomas Partey has joined Saudi Pro League club Al Shabab on a free transfer, completing his move to Saudi Arabia on Friday, August 21, 2026, after travelling to the country to finalise the deal.

Also read: Mourinho backs Mbappé, Vinícius and Bellingham to thrive

The transfer was first reported by transfer specialist Fabrizio Romano, who said Partey had travelled to Saudi Arabia on Thursday to complete the move. Al Shabab subsequently confirmed the signing.

Advertisement

Partey, 33, arrives at Al Shabab after his contract with Villarreal expired. The Ghana international spent the 2025/26 season with the Spanish club after leaving Arsenal.

The move gives Partey a fresh challenge in the Saudi Pro League and brings considerable European experience to Al Shabab’s midfield.

The Ghanaian previously established himself at Atlético Madrid before joining Arsenal in 2020. He spent five seasons with the Premier League club before moving to Villarreal as a free agent.

Advertisement

At Arsenal, Partey made 130 appearances and scored nine goals, becoming an important presence in the centre of midfield during his time in north London.

His arrival also adds experience to an Al Shabab squad being reshaped under German coach Thomas Letsch. The Saudi Pro League’s official transfer tracker lists several new arrivals for the club this summer as the side prepares for the 2026/27 campaign.

For Partey, the transfer represents another chapter in a career that has taken him from Ghana to Spain, England and back into European football before his move to Saudi Arabia.

Advertisement

The midfielder will also remain an important figure for Ghana as the Black Stars look ahead to upcoming international commitments.

Also read: Mourinho backs Mbappé, Vinícius and Bellingham to thrive

Partey’s switch to Al Shabab is therefore more than a change of scenery. It offers the experienced midfielder an opportunity to continue playing at a high level while bringing his considerable top-flight experience to a Saudi club with ambitions for the new season.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending