Connect with us

sports

John Stones reveals he considered retirement last season

Published

on

John Stones

John Stones retirement thoughts revealed as defender opens up on injury struggles. Back in England squad under Tuchel ahead of crucial World Cup qualifier

John Stones retirement thoughts nearly became a reality last season as the Manchester City and England defender battled repeated injuries that left him mentally and physically drained.

Advertisement

Also read: Rodri Injury Forces Spain Out of World Cup Qualifiers

The 31-year-old was limited to just 11 Premier League appearances in the 2024/25 campaign, struggling with foot and hamstring problems — the latter ruling him out of action from February onwards.

He last featured for England in October 2024 and missed several international windows due to fitness setbacks.

Now back in the fold under new manager Thomas Tuchel, Stones is set to feature in the upcoming friendly against Wales and England’s vital World Cup qualifier in Latvia on 14 October.

Advertisement

A win in Riga would seal England’s place at the 2026 FIFA World Cup, jointly hosted by the United States, Canada, and Mexico.

In an emotional interview with BBC Radio 5 Live, Stones admitted:

“Last season was tough for me, to the point where I thought about stopping. I didn’t want to do it… I had had enough of being so professional and trying to do everything right, only to then keep breaking down and not having the answers.”

Advertisement

Stones joined Manchester City from Everton in 2016, but injuries have dogged his career, preventing him from completing more than 27 league matches in a single season.

Despite five starts so far this term, Pep Guardiola has largely favoured Ruben Dias and Josko Gvardiol at centre-back.

“**My emotions were high. I wasn’t thinking straight. I don’t think deep down I would have ever done it [retired],” Stones clarified. “But when you’re doing everything right and still breaking down, it becomes mentally exhausting.”

Advertisement

With over 70 international caps and five major tournaments under his belt, Stones is one of the most experienced players in the England camp.

His return under Tuchel could offer much-needed leadership and stability ahead of next summer’s finals.

“There’s a fight in me and a winning mentality that doesn’t want to stop,” he said. “That’s all I’ve ever known.”

Advertisement

Also read: Rodri Injury Forces Spain Out of World Cup Qualifiers

The John Stones retirement revelation has sparked widespread support from fans and fellow professionals alike, many praising his honesty and resilience in overcoming such a low point.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

sports

Mourinho backs Mbappé, Vinícius and Bellingham to thrive

Published

on

Mourinho

Mourinho backs Mbappé, Vinícius and Bellingham to thrive together as Real Madrid prepare for Saturday’s La Liga opener against Espanyol

José Mourinho, Real Madrid head coach, said on Friday, August 21, 2026, in Madrid, Spain, that Kylian Mbappé, Vinícius Júnior and Jude Bellingham can play effectively together as Real Madrid prepare to face Espanyol in their opening La Liga match of the season.

Also read: Alhassan Yusuf scores hat-trick as New England Revolution beat DC United

The Portuguese coach, 63, returns to the Real Madrid dugout 13 years after his first spell ended, with the immediate challenge of finding the right balance between a formidable attack and the defensive discipline required to compete for major honours.

Advertisement

Mourinho has inherited a side that has gone two seasons without a major trophy.

Previous coaches Carlo Ancelotti, Xabi Alonso and Álvaro Arbeloa all faced difficulties in maximising the attacking qualities of Mbappé, Vinícius and Bellingham without leaving the team exposed defensively.

Yet Mourinho is confident the three stars are not tactically incompatible.

Advertisement

“They are incredible players and incredible players want to play with incredible players,” Mourinho told reporters.

He acknowledged that creating a system to accommodate all three would require careful work, noting that the trio have been used differently by their respective national-team coaches.

“Tactically, it could be tricky,” Mourinho said. “We’re on it. I want the three, when all three play, to feel comfortable on the pitch.”

Advertisement

The coach added that the quality of the players gives him reason for optimism.

“They don’t play in incompatible positions. We will have a great season with them.”

The challenge, however, extends beyond finding attacking positions. Mourinho has made it clear that Madrid’s biggest names will also have defensive responsibilities.

Advertisement

“We have to defend with 11 players,” he said. “If a team is pushing us back and giving us problems in our final third, we all have to defend.”

That message could prove particularly important as Mourinho attempts to build a more balanced side around three players accustomed to carrying major attacking responsibilities.

Real Madrid’s preparations have already offered some clues about his thinking. During pre-season, Mourinho experimented with a 4-2-3-1 structure designed to bring several of his principal attacking players into the same system.

Advertisement

The team completed its pre-season unbeaten, with five wins and one draw, while also keeping clean sheets in its final 243 minutes of preparation.

Bellingham has welcomed the arrival of Mourinho. After returning to training following the World Cup, the England midfielder described working with the Portuguese coach as a dream and said he was optimistic about the season ahead.

Mbappé has similarly spoken positively about the new manager, saying the French forward believes Real Madrid can return to winning trophies.

Advertisement

For Mourinho, however, managing such a talented group also means managing expectations and disappointment. Only 11 players can start, leaving some of Madrid’s high-profile names facing periods on the bench.

“There will be moments of frustration,” Mourinho said, explaining that players would have to accept difficult selection decisions.

“I want hard decisions. The team needs to know how to navigate moments of frustration.”

Advertisement

The manager’s emphasis on collective responsibility comes as Real Madrid seek to restore stability after a turbulent previous campaign.

Mourinho also addressed tensions within the dressing room, particularly the reported altercation between Aurélien Tchouaméni and Federico Valverde that left Valverde requiring hospital treatment last season.

Reports in Spain have described the incident as a significant source of concern before the pair reunited in training.

Advertisement

Mourinho said he had chosen to approach the matter without dwelling on the past.

“I’ve decided to start from zero,” he said, adding that the players had indicated there was no need for him to intervene.

According to Mourinho, what he has seen from the pair since his arrival suggests the relationship has moved beyond reconciliation.

Advertisement

“From what I’ve seen it’s not even about peace, it’s normality, friendship, and it’s like nothing happened.”

The wider rebuilding project at Madrid is substantial. Mourinho was appointed after a trophyless two-year period and has returned to the club under an ambitious mandate to restore competitiveness at domestic and European level. His contract runs until June 2029.

Real Madrid have also strengthened their squad during the summer, adding players including Bernardo Silva, Marc Cucurella, Ibrahima Konaté, Denzel Dumfries and Yan Diomandé as part of the club’s effort to refresh the team.

Advertisement

The first serious examination of Mourinho’s new approach comes on Saturday, August 22, when Real Madrid travel to face Espanyol. The match is scheduled for 9.30pm Central European Time at the Stage Front Stadium.

For Mourinho, the return carries more than nostalgia. Real Madrid expect trophies, and the coach knows that finding a productive relationship between Mbappé, Vinícius and Bellingham could be central to that ambition.

Also read: Ronaldinho Makes Stunning Football Comeback at 46

His message before the new campaign is therefore both optimistic and demanding: the stars can play together, but their individual brilliance must ultimately serve the team.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Trending